First Try at Deer sausage

Scott_nra

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello Farkers. I thought I'd share this with you. So I have a couple kits that have been in the cabinet for lord knows how long and decide this year I'm doing it. One of for breakfast sausage so I grind up about 3-1/2# of venison front shoulder with 1-1/2# of pork fat with a little meat on it. Mixed in the spices with some ice water and went to look at the casings I had soaking.

I put the sheep casings that came in it in a bowl of warm water but I think they are crap. They are stiff and unmanageable after a hour in the water. I will prick up some collagen casing from the local Bass pro tomorrow.

Took a small sample of the meat inside the house and fried it up. Holly Crap! It's actually really good! Added just bit more rubbed sage to it and covered in the frige overnight to stuff tomorrow.

Oh yes there is much more to venison adventures than jerky. BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAahhahahahaaaa.

I'm going to have to shoot more deer now. I'm so jazzed I can't wait to get going on the other stuff. I have mix for 5# each of Brats, Sweet Italian and Polish. After that, I'm going to try it without kits. I'm on the hunt now for simple recipes that have ingrediants I can get locally without too many I can't pronounce in them. If an ingrediant has more than 6 sylables in the name It's probably not something I want in it.

You just had a V8 moment, didn'ja:clap2:. Venison:thumb:

Sounds like you're on the right track. My venison snack sticks turned out to be labor-intensive dog treats this year... not good!

I too am trying to make venison products this year. purchased several LEM kits to try and keep the variables down to a minimum.
Is it true you can leave sausage on the smoke to long and get a bitter flavor?

Back