MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #136
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppa78 View Post
I brined my Butterball. Am I screwed?
Since no one has answered.
Others have posted that they have brined a enhanced bird. The concern seems to be over saltiness, so maybe no salt in any rub you use. I'd definitely rinse it well.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #137
sash501
Knows what a fatty is.

Read the first page of this thread for the first time today. For us noobs, what internal temp on a turkey are we looking for? Also, what is the cook time? So relieved to hear that it isn't a long one as there are many other dishes to prepare, but what is the cook time?

Last edited by sash501; 11-18-2012 at 01:03 PM..
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #138
Larry S
Got Wood.

You can brine a Butterball. Just use half the salt you nomally would use.
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #139
Subzerogriller
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome thread! I smoked a rockin' turkey last year on the kettle, but my dad has decided that it wasn't a big enough bird (this guy is a turkey junky on the level of the dad from "A Christmas Story"). So this year, I have a TWENTY TWO POUND bird. Any idea on how long I should plan on cooking this? I'm planning to run in the neighborhood of 300 degrees, as long as the winds don't mess up my wsm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
[COLOR=Blue][B]Proud to be supporting our troops: Limited Edition Supahfast Thermapen with US Flag[/B][/COLOR]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Joined my first TD, and dove headfirst into the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero's Club.[/URL]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]Come [/COLOR][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]to the Dark Side![/COLOR] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][SIZE=2]Join a Throwdown![/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]
[/FONT][/SIZE]
Subzerogriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #140
BobM
Babbling Farker

I get a fresh turkey, I don't brine it, I don't rub it, I don't stuff it, I don't do nothin' to it, I just deep fry it.

Delicious!

This is one I fried this past summer.

Turkey isn't just for Thanksgiving. We have a "turkey fry in July" every year, though this one was actually done in August this past year.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #141
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppa78 View Post
I brined my Butterball. Am I screwed?
No worries. I'm no EXPERT, but I've brined Butterballs and they turned out great. I didn't alter my brine recipe or anything. I think the worse thing that can happen is that the brine just not take as well. I mean if there's already a brine (which is basically what the "enhancement" is) in the bird, then your new brine may not get into the meat as well.

It's so hard to find birds that don't have the 8% solution, I've not noticed an issue.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #142
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
Great thread! Thanks guys for all the tips. I didn't know what I was going to do for the holidays. Yesterday I hit up Whole Foods for some Dry Aged ribeyes (new Jumbo Joe, have to break it in right) and my girlfriend shows up at the meat counter with a 10lb fresh turkey. The label says less than 4% water added. I figure I'll still do a brine, and get it on the grill on Thursday. I've never taken on a project this big for slower cooking, and we might have a few traveling friends over since none of us can make it back to our families.

One of the posts above showed a kettle with the coals on both sides of the bird. Is that the suggested method? I'm going to be using the new Jumbo Joe 18" grill, so I'm not really sure how to set things up. Should I grab a pair of those charcoal baskets? I like the look of that Williams Sonoma turkey gravy base, picking that up tomorrow!
That's a great setup. You don't necessarily need the charcoal baskets, although they are nice. Set up your kettle for indirect cooking. Put a 1/2 pan for a drip pan right in the middle of the charcoal grate. Place charcoal on either side of it. You can also use foil wrapped bricks on either side of the drip pan to keep the charcoal at bay if you want. Then just place charcoal between the bricks or drip pan and the outside of the kettle. Place a chunk of wood amongst each pile of charcoal, then add about 3-5 lit pieces of charcoal onto one end of each of the charcoal piles. I like to keep my top vent open and adjust the bottom vent until I get the temp where I want it. I like 325-350 for turkey or chicken. Dial it in and let it ride.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #143
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sash501 View Post
Read the first page of this thread for the first time today. For us noobs, what internal temp on a turkey are we looking for? Also, what is the cook time? So relieved to hear that it isn't a long one as there are many other dishes to prepare, but what is the cook time?
Do with the same target temps as whole chicken, which (FOR ME) are 155-160 in the breast and 165-170 in the thigh. I usually pull the turkey from the smoker when I get 150ish in the breast and 160-165 in the thigh. It'll ride the other 5 degrees for carryover and resting. I try to avoid taking the breast above 165.

I cook mine at a higher temp, anywhere from 350 to 450 (watch out for any sugar in the rub if you go much hotter than 350. At 425, you're looking at 2-2.5 hours and 3.5-4 hours at 325-350. At least that's been my experience.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #144
Rover24
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzerogriller View Post
Awesome thread! I smoked a rockin' turkey last year on the kettle, but my dad has decided that it wasn't a big enough bird (this guy is a turkey junky on the level of the dad from "A Christmas Story"). So this year, I have a TWENTY TWO POUND bird. Any idea on how long I should plan on cooking this? I'm planning to run in the neighborhood of 300 degrees, as long as the winds don't mess up my wsm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
I hope someone chimes in cause I have the same pound bird going on my 22" WSM.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #145
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

I did a bird that size a few years back and it took a LONG time, 5-6 hours if I remember correctly and that was at closer to 350*.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #146
Wampus

Here's a chart I found for 350 degrees that seems right based on my experiences:

http://allrecipes.com/howto/turkey-cooking-time-guide/

You said you were going at 300, so I'd add an hour to their suggestion of 3.5-4 hours, which is what my time is between for a 350 degree cook.

You could bump it up to 325 too.

Either way, I'd guess at least 4 hours for a 20 lber. Probably more like 5 at 300. Just check it at 2 hours and see if it's about 1/2 way, then adjust temps as necessary.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #147
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Wampus

Are you still using a Turkey Cannon? I have one but I so seldom make turkeys (like once a year) and I can't remember how long it took using one. The website says only 7 minutes per pound but I don't remember it cooking that fast.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #148
Baboontyme
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Great thread ladies and gentlemen.

Here is a bird I did on my WSM in 2011. I did that one low and slow on my WSM 18.5 before I knew better. It turned out great but I have done high heat cooks since with my birds and they've all been great.

I have never rubbed under the skin. Anyone have a good herb butter or similar type recipe?

I have a 16#er this year. I plan on letting the cooker soar to 350-400 and using my turkey cannon. Think I can get it done in 2-2.5 hrs?

This will be my first year doing one on my offset. I'm going to have to try some of these gravy recipes. I had my turkey raising guy save me the giblets but I might just roast them and give them to the dog at this point.

Anyone have any brine recipes they swear by? Also I want that brining bucket thing posted a few pages back. Awesome. Link?

Baboontyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #149
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
That's a great setup. You don't necessarily need the charcoal baskets, although they are nice. Set up your kettle for indirect cooking. Put a 1/2 pan for a drip pan right in the middle of the charcoal grate. Place charcoal on either side of it. You can also use foil wrapped bricks on either side of the drip pan to keep the charcoal at bay if you want. Then just place charcoal between the bricks or drip pan and the outside of the kettle. Place a chunk of wood amongst each pile of charcoal, then add about 3-5 lit pieces of charcoal onto one end of each of the charcoal piles. I like to keep my top vent open and adjust the bottom vent until I get the temp where I want it. I like 325-350 for turkey or chicken. Dial it in and let it ride.
Thanks for the reply. I picked up the Williams Sonoma gravy base today-the people in the store went nuts when I hit the counter with that "it's the best thing evar!!!!" and offered the tip of adding a bit of apple brandy along with the milk and drippings. Home Depot failed me on the hinged grate today, but I'll make due. I did grab a bag of apple wood chunks while I was there.

So you suggest charcoal on both sides of a drip pan, and not charcoal far on one side and the bird on the other? Does this whole setup work with dressing in the bird? I saw several references to stuffing with aromatics, but didn't catch any with dressing...
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #150
Subzerogriller
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
I did a bird that size a few years back and it took a LONG time, 5-6 hours if I remember correctly and that was at closer to 350*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Here's a chart I found for 350 degrees that seems right based on my experiences:

http://allrecipes.com/howto/turkey-cooking-time-guide/

You said you were going at 300, so I'd add an hour to their suggestion of 3.5-4 hours, which is what my time is between for a 350 degree cook.

You could bump it up to 325 too.

Either way, I'd guess at least 4 hours for a 20 lber. Probably more like 5 at 300. Just check it at 2 hours and see if it's about 1/2 way, then adjust temps as necessary.
Thanks for the advice. I've had problems keeping the temps up on my wsm lately; I'm thinking it's a wind thing, and we're not supposed to have much in the way of wind on Thursday (~5 mph), so hopefully I'll be able to get the temps up closer to 325-350. I'll probably plan on an 8 hour cook; that way, if I can't maintain higher temps I should be OK, and if I do get the temps up and the thing is finished in 6 hours, I can foil and cooler it. Can't wait - turkey, squash, and (of course) a couple fatties on the smoker! Gonna be a great day!
[COLOR=Blue][B]Proud to be supporting our troops: Limited Edition Supahfast Thermapen with US Flag[/B][/COLOR]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Joined my first TD, and dove headfirst into the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero's Club.[/URL]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]Come [/COLOR][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]to the Dark Side![/COLOR] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][SIZE=2]Join a Throwdown![/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]
[/FONT][/SIZE]
Subzerogriller is offline   Reply With Quote