Pork Butts for comp.

IowaWildHogsBbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I usally cook two I make one two 185 for slicing the money muscle and 195 to 205 for chunks and pulled. Should I just cook them both to the same temp or am I on the track here?

Hey Iowa,

I also cook two 10lb'ers and usually take mine off at 190-191 degrees. The money muscle slices easily without pulling apart (so long as you have a real sharp knife) and I am still able to pull chunks. Now, I've just started competing and have placed in the bottom 1/2 of my last two comps so, I may not be the best person responding here.

i only cook 2 butts per comp and take both to 200-205 and submit pulled,chunks, and slices for the judges. It all depends on how you cook and knife skills.

i also cook two butts about 200 for me give or take, depends on if its done there. sliced money with pulled and chunks. no problem. sharp knife is a must

It depends on the temperature of your cooker. Meat cooked hot and fast can go to a higher internal temperature than meat cooked low and slow.

Cooking at 275/285 I find that if I go past the 200 mark the MM is a challenge to slice cleanly. If above 195 and probing tender in multiple locations I yank it, vent until below 185 then into the cambro.

I monitor the butt temp about an inch behind the money muscle and take it out of the smoker at around 195. Other parts of the butt will show lower temps than that, into the 180s, so be consistent about where you test your temps in the butt.

If I have big butts (10 lbs) and large money muscles, this works well. If I have a small money muscle, then it is often overcooked to the point I cannot use it. The last thing you want is for a money muscle slice to fall apart in the judges hand.

Brett

We cook both to the same temp. We cook on wsm and keep the shoulder with the money muscle end in the center while the horn/bone end is closer the edge. The extra heat that comes up around the water pan cooks the thicker end a little faster, allowing us to get the whole butt cooked more evenly. Also we do some light trimming to define the money muscle pre-cook. Have only done 2 contest so far but got 11th out of 32 and 9th out of 57.

pork butts

All things being equal (taste/tenderness/etc) What is the norm for your turn in's? Pulled, sliced, chunks, all three? I've turned in pulled/chunks, and sliced/chunks, but never all three. Should I be trying to turn in all 3, knowing I might not get all 3 to be quality, or just shoot for 2 out of the 3?

If one of the 3 isn't up to par, don't put it in the box. Great slices and chunks can be turned into low scores by including pulled that isn't right.

Back