Smoking a Whole Hog

frognot

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
A friend called me and had an extra wild pig that he had killed. Was probably 50 lbs before being field dressed and skinned and head removed. Pig has been on ice in a cooler since yesterday afternoon and water drained twice (before I drained it a li'l while ago). I'm off this week since my wife is having cataract surgery tomorrow at 0800. I can smoke anytime Tuesday or after. Figure I'll quarter the pig to get him to fit in the 'dera.

Any prepping suggestions? Should i add salt to the ice/water slurry? Any marinating suggestions & how long before smoking. Any advice on smoking pork (i've never even done a shoulder) would be welcome.

Found a few sites about smoking hole hogs but tend to be the whole hog butterflied and place directly over the coals.

Thanks in advance and am looking forwaard to any tips.

I have done some whole hogs. I usually quarter just for convenience. I rub with a simple salt, pepper, garlic, and cayenne. Wrap at about 160ish and take to 180 or so.

Pig, goat, whatever; Parts is parts when it comes to home butchering. Get maybe 2 feet of scrap heavy guage wire and tie each end around the ankles then secure another piece in the middle to hoist it up. Then take a wood dowel or something similar to spread the legs some. At that point start quartering (starting at the bottom hopefully :)). Personally, I just use a sawsall with a 12" blade. As for marinating or rubbing or whatever. I'd probably marinate and rub because of the gamey taste especially if its javalena. Also consider an apple juice spray for the last few hours.

Thanks for the feedback. Think i'll keep him on ice today & rub & marinate tomorrow & cook him Wednesday.

You could do the luau thing and cook it in the ground......

I am guessing it is a wild hog and not a javelina(hopefully). Wild hogs are pretty good and not that gamey. Javelinas are really not worth shooting.

Wild hog is very lean and if handle the same as domistic hog you will not be happy. Bring will help, inject and take to lower finish temps. Lower pit temps help.

Back