UDS Rotissere Mod...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So...I was rummaging through the garage today and came across an old rotisserie. I plugged it in...and it still works. So I'm trying to come up with a way to mod one of my drums. I could slot the sides to fit...but how would I plug the slots when the rotisserie is not installed? I could drill a couple of holes and thread it through...but it would be a pain to load and unload meat. I'm not interested in an extra rotisserie ring...so that's out. I'm leaning toward the slots. I'm open to any and all suggestions! :p

IMG_4142.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

IMG_4144.jpg

Add an extra removable ring with slots or sitck corks in the slots when not in use.

Just don't use the ones found around the hobbie horse!!! lol

Ya know JD I bet you could come up with a few metal slugs that sit in the slots held in with a U shaped bracket. Use the material you made those covers for the intakes on your drum.

Just don't use the ones found around the hobbie horse!!! lol

Ya know JD I bet you could come up with a few metal slugs that sit in the slots held in with a U shaped bracket. Use the material you made those covers for the intakes on your drum.

I was just thinking about that...I've got some of the stainless steel sheet metal leftover from the vent tabs that I can bend up to slip over the grooves...Doc...you're a genius!:p

ps...what's with the hobbie horse plug thing?...or do I want to know? :twisted:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaah! Hobby horses are made from wood so it only stands to reason their 'droppings' would be cork.

2267%20Reg%20Hobby%20Horse.jpg

Haaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaah! Hobby horses are made from wood so it only stands to reason their 'droppings' would be cork.

2267%20Reg%20Hobby%20Horse.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:...!!!:p

If you didn't have a problem with cutting that handle off, you would only need holes (not a notch) which are easily plugged. You could slip the loaded spit through one hole, shift toward that side and then slip the other end out the other side, centering the whole outfit when you are done. A simple locking nut on the would prevent the spit from walking.

Make the slot on both sides for the rod. Then drill holes below the slots and rivet a piece of metal that can be rotated over the slots when not in use. Similar to the vents on a weber only rectangle and not with holes.

Cut a U slot on each end, then fab some plugs like your vent tabs.

Or we find another rustbucket and make a flange to sit in the top. I may have one, take a look on Friday.

suddenly I'm inspired ... chickens dancing on their toes

dancing the pirouette on the grill so to speak ...

think about turning this on its end handle up point down
pivot the point on a _____ ( fill in the blank )
replace / augment the handle end with a "fan blade" driven by the smoke's convection current - most do chicken hotter so more energy in the smoke current .....

a support bracket assembly and .... I think its doable

If you didn't have a problem with cutting that handle off, you would only need holes (not a notch) which are easily plugged. You could slip the loaded spit through one hole, shift toward that side and then slip the other end out the other side, centering the whole outfit when you are done. A simple locking nut on the would prevent the spit from walking.

I like this method. That handle might even screw off. Then you could use those metal plugs that swamprb uses on his drums to plug up the hole.

I have a stock Weber Rotisserie ring and it had a slot on one side and a hole on the other. My EZ-Que has U slots on both sides and I can tell you, it will be a PITA to thread the spit rod in the hole with meat on it! Tried it once and said to Hell with that! And I cut a slot in that one hole, and it just lifts off, very easy!

JD- cut slots in the drum and then use the patented Swamprb kettle flange to plug the holes! I know you don't want a ring, but it'll keep the drum pretty and the gunk will not flow over the outside of the drum!

100_2207.jpg

I'll take a look at Swamprb's on Friday...maybe pick up a few tips. Also...the hole thing that Wayne suggested as well. The handle does unscrew...hmmmm...thanks guys...keep those ideas rollin' in...:idea:

Back