How much sugar do you use in your pork rib rubs?

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I experiment a lot with rubs when smoking ribs. But one thing I heard on a bbq video I've got with the guy from the formerly known "Oklahoma Joes" cooking team was that most people do not use enough brown sugar when making their rubs for pork (ribs & butts). He said one of the secrets behind their championship rubs was the amount of sugar they put in their rubs. Now of course he didn't specify how much sugar they use.

I was curious as to the amount of sugar many of y'all use in y'all's rubs. I most of the time use between one cup to cup and a half. I've backed off (in my experimental times) of the sugar to like one fourth cup and kept the rest of the ingredients the same and the rub was just too much for pork ribs.

How much do y'all usually use for your pork rib rubs?

Thanks in advance.

we use half a cup of brown sugar, and we also use sugar in the raw at half a cup. now this is in a recipe that when finished is 2 cups worth of rub

similar to n2que, the sugar makes up about half of the volume of the rub.

We put a 1/2 of cup of sugar in our rub but that has nothing to do with brown sugar on our ribs. We sprinkle our rub on our ribs and then sprinkle a special blend of chiles and some turbinado sugar on the ribs before going into the smoker. We used to use brown sugar but we now use turbinado sugar. We have been using the same chile blend and rub for a couple years now. See our web site.

It's about 1/8 to 1/4 of my rub but I also add more when I foil...

A lot.....does that help?

I alway use molasses sugar which I dry in the oven at a very low heat to stop the rub from clumping.

The quantity I add to the rub depends on the volume I'm making!!!

I usually use 1 cup of Sugar In The Raw (Turbinado) in my PB rub. I always run this thru a coffee grinder that I use for spices, otherwise the granuals are to big...

None in my rub. I get enough sugar from the sauces that I use that I don't add it to my rub.

I wont give you the whole recipe but tru using 2 cups of sugar to 1/2 cup of salt. This is a perfect ratio I think.

My pork rub recipe starts with 6 Tablespoons of brown sugar and makes enough to rub 2 butts, probably 6+ racks of ribs.

Well depends on how much I am making but when just doing ribs for the family I use a cup or better ( not one to measure ) I don't use any salt in my pork rubs only in the brine.I use pretty small amounts of everything else tablespoon or two of black pepper tea of cinnamon and garlic a pinch of nutmeg and cumin

I use about a third of sugar in my pork rubs. I mostly use turbinado sugar now, but sometimes do dried brown sugar as well.

My basic rub uses turbinado at a ratio of 2 parts sugar to 1 part salt by volume. Coarse ground black pepper same volume as turbinado, then I build from there with everything else.

Back