MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
bbqneo
Knows what a fatty is.

Default What is your average cooking time hours/pound for brisket & butts?

I have read the "guidelines" for brisket and butts are 1-1.5hr/lb for brisket and ~2hr/lb for butts. I went back through my last 1/2 dozen cook logs and found when I am cooking in a range of 220-250 my 5-6lb brisket flats are taking 2-2.2hr/lb and the 4.5-6lb butts are similar. I had one small brisket (3lb) take less than an hour/lb. Anyone else have any results that are similar or completely different?
bbqneo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
qman
Babbling Farker

It has been my experiance that the smaller cuts [brisket and butts] will take much longer on a per pound basis that the larger cuts. I use 1-1.5 hours per pound when doing low-and-slow with big butts-9 pounders, or whole brisket. Of course this is just for estimating cooking schedule. Doneness is determined by feel.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
jt
Babbling Farker

Mine have typically run 1-1.5 hrs/lb no matter what the size.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

For me, briskets always take longer than butts for some reason. I typically cook at 225-230 and can usually estimate 1 and 1/2 hours per pound. Butts will be done about 30-60 minutes before briskets will but in the grand scheme of things this really isnt that big of a time lapse.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Default What?

Here I go again.
Briskets and Butts done in 5 hours, no matter how large they are!!!
Fork The Pork!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

Old 05-02-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
bbqneo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoysBBQ View Post
For me, briskets always take longer than butts for some reason. I typically cook at 225-230 and can usually estimate 1 and 1/2 hours per pound. Butts will be done about 30-60 minutes before briskets will but in the grand scheme of things this really isnt that big of a time lapse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickassbbq View Post
Here I go again.
Briskets and Butts done in 5 hours, no matter how large they are!!!
Fork The Pork!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!
I am working on getting a schedule together for my first competition, I do not foil brisket, but I do use a reynolds oven bag; I do foil the butts. I cook both to 190-200 internal temp. I just wanted to see if anyone else had briskets take this long each time?

Old 05-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Gents,

This is BBQ! The meat will be done when it's done. It depends on it's size and temperature it's cooked at.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #8
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

just buy it precooked its easier
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
bbqneo
Knows what a fatty is.

Two problems: 1)Contest rules indicate meats must be turned in 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after the scheduled time; 2)rules do not allow for precooked meats. Having my family wait for the meat to be done is no problem, but I was simply trying to get some advice from others while I prepare and try to figure out how to get 4 different meats done on time for a contest.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
tommykendall

I like big butts and briskets - never did small ones. 1-1.5 in the 200 range seems to be the guideline.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:16 AM   #11
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Gents,

This is BBQ! The meat will be done when it's done. It depends on it's size and temperature it's cooked at.

I think I said that.

I don't cook for contests, but I do know I could not get away with wandering out onto my patio sometime around maybe 5pm and putting a brisket in the cooker, then telling a houseful of guests that "it will be done when it is done"

Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #12
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommykendall View Post
I like big butts .

mmmmmmmmmmmmm me too!!
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by Sledneck; 02-25-2009 at 01:21 PM..
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #13
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqneo View Post
Two problems: 1)Contest rules indicate meats must be turned in 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after the scheduled time; 2)rules do not allow for precooked meats. Having my family wait for the meat to be done is no problem, but I was simply trying to get some advice from others while I prepare and try to figure out how to get 4 different meats done on time for a contest.
Neither is a problem. This is how we do it. We start our cooker at 7 PM the night before turn-in. We make sure our cooker is stable and at the cooker is at the temp we want to cook at. Then we put our butts and briskets in. If the meats cooperate they are in a cooler at 7 to 8 am, resting until we need them. We need 3 hours for ribs and chicken so we start cooking them at 8:30. They are both cooked at higher temps so it works out well. We cook 12 to 14 lb packers and 8 lb boston butts. Every piece of meat cooks differently so if your meat cooks slower you may need to wrap it and put it back in the cooker to speed the cooking time.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #14
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqneo View Post
I am working on getting a schedule together for my first competition...
I did my first comp just last month. I ran out of time because I scheduled my take off times too close to the turn in times and essentially ran out of cooking/resting time. With that in mind, for my next comp, I will start my cooking much earlier.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #15
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Guy what temp do you cook your ribs? I like your timeline and I was right there with you until you said 3 hour ribs.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote