The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Trakk
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Wings for sale by the pound

Would you guys weigh-in on the advantage of selling wings by the pound rather than the piece. There's a bbq place selling them that way and it's new to me. Most cases I buy have little variation in how many pieces I get out of 40lbs.
Trakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
sliding_billy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Convenient way to charge for bones... I hate when anything with bones (especially beef short ribs) are sold by the pound. As for wings though, the only reason I would see is if they are selling jumbo wings and don't want to scare folks away with a high per piece price.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
Untraceable
is One Chatty Farker

I believe some Buffalo Wild Wings are doing it by the lb now. Ive personally seen huge variation in wing sizes in the stores. Now they sell a small-medium-large order (not sure the weights) so you could either end up with 15 wings or 20 wings in a large ordered depending on the weight of the wings.

Unread 01-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

I am sure it is a marketing trick to charge more per piece without it being directly noticeable to the consumer...

According to "Buffalo Wild Wings" Enter sale-by-weight. Although that might mean you get fewer wings counted out to you, but in the company's view, there's probably as much meat in the current five as in yesterday's six.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 01-21-2014 at 05:43 PM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
Smok'n n Joke'n
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
Convenient way to charge for bones... I hate when anything with bones (especially beef short ribs) are sold by the pound. As for wings though, the only reason I would see is if they are selling jumbo wings and don't want to scare folks away with a high per piece price.
This is my take on it too ^^^^^

Unread 01-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
defence18
Got Wood.

If you're talking about raw wings, I've never seen them sold by the piece. I've only seen by the pound pricing.
defence18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
THoey1963
is one Smokin' Farker

Here's the article on Buffalo Wild Wings changing to selling by the pound:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-e...233444992.html

Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" - Weber Genesis S-330
Pitmaster IQ-120 - Thermopen - Maverick ET-733
KCBS member
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
Trakk
Got rid of the matchlight.

Good input everyone! Thanks! Maybe people won't notice as easily when the price/lb changes as they do per piece?
Trakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
jeffry1970
On the road to being a farker

The Amish markets always sell them by the pound.
I guess it's a good way to calculate your profit on a case of wings, I cook wings for fund raisers and always charge by quantity. Would be a pia for me to charge by the pound.
jeffry1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I am sure it is a marketing trick to charge more per piece without it being directly noticeable to the consumer...

According to "Buffalo Wild Wings" Enter sale-by-weight. Although that might mean you get fewer wings counted out to you, but in the company's view, there's probably as much meat in the current five as in yesterday's six.
This has to be the dumbest quote ever. If they didn't change wing size there is no way more meat will magically appear on the bone. They are gutless to day they are raising prices. Actually Wong prices are down from last year.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote