MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
Instagator
Got Wood.

Default Canada - Newbie - Wood Chunks

Hey

Decided to take a stab at smoking meat!
I bought a ECB (More like ECMaster Forge Smoker 20.25-in)

In the process of modifying it but I'm waiting for certain parts to come in.

In any case, where would I find quality Wood Chunks? I did a search (YEAH I DID!!!) but found nothing for Canada... So, Where do you guys buy chunks in Canada?

On a side note, First thread! woot.
Instagator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

I'm not in Canada, and I don't mean to sound rude, but did the place selling the ECB have chunks? In the US, Home Depot and Lowe's stock the chunks within 10 feet of the ECBs. Wal-Mart sells chunks.

Now if you're talking about properly-cured chunks, then I would try (I searched as well):

http://www.smokinlicious.ca/

http://www.greatcanadianbbq.ca/canad...ome-sales.html

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by SmokinJohn; 04-30-2013 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: Welcome
SmokinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
BBQBeaver
On the road to being a farker

Where in Canada are you? As mentioned mos tthe major retailers, Canadian Tire, BBQS Galore, Ontario Gas, Capital Appliances, Home Hardware, etc.

A lot of the local specialty fireplace/bbq shops should also stock them.

Or you can check kijiji for local advertised fruit wood (firewood).

Old 04-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Instagator
Got Wood.

Bought the smoker at Lowes Canada. I checked Home Depot and Lowes and they did have CHIPS and not chunks. I have found however one bag of WEBER chunks *it looked opened and missing a few - Can't remember which type of wood it was* - Priced at 9.99

Was just wondering where everybody else was picking up their wood.

Thanks for the links smokinjohn! I'll take a look at those two sites. Thanks again! (is the only search available the one provided by google?)
I Live in the GTA (stouffville to be exact) Ontario.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

First off - welcome!! Nice to have another Cana'jun on board. You'll learn tons here.

Some Walmarts carry Hickory and Mesquite Chunks, as well as a wider variety of chips. Both Ontario Gas BBQ in Vaughan( www.bbqs.com ) and Sobie's in North York ( www.sobies.com ) have wood chunks.

BBQ Beaver's suggestion about kijiji is also good - I've bought apple chunks and splits from kijiji.

Cheers,
Matt

Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instagator View Post
Bought the smoker at Lowes Canada. I checked Home Depot and Lowes and they did have CHIPS and not chunks. I have found however one bag of WEBER chunks *it looked opened and missing a few - Can't remember which type of wood it was* - Priced at 9.99

Was just wondering where everybody else was picking up their wood.

Thanks for the links smokinjohn! I'll take a look at those two sites. Thanks again! (is the only search available the one provided by google?)
I Live in the GTA (stouffville to be exact) Ontario.

I did search on google (and verified on Bing and Yahoo) for these keywords:

smoking woods canada

Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Instagator
Got Wood.

Ty for the suggestions guys

Old 04-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
realspaazz
Take a breath!

You could also call a local orchard to see if they have any trimmings left over. Or call a local tree trimmer/arborist. Or "help" a few of the neighbors "clean up" some of their fallen branches (you will have to do your own species identification)

Old 04-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Just thought I would say WELCOME! Don't forget to look at pool and patio type stores, they often carry high end cookers and a variety of chips & chunks.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
rustypouch
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

As others have said, Lowe's, BBQs Galore, Canadian Tire. Also try Superstore.
rustypouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Out west here Walmart just started carrying a small supply of chunks this season. I have a local weber dealer that has chunks in stock but I've looked into smokinlicious and that's a good deal for chunks, just haven't gotten around to trying them yet. CT, HD and the like out here aren't carrying chunks yet.