Resting in Peace

Toney Marconi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My Butt came off the smoker way earlier than I anticipated. It is triple wrapped in foil and resting with a towel in a well insulated cooler. How long is it safe to leave it here? I don't plan on eating for another five hours.

Did you snap a pic? I want to see the finished product!

You are about ~2 hours ahead of me. My 8lb'er is still in the WSM. I plan on resting it for at least 3 hours (or more if it comes off earlier).

Did you snap a pic? I want to see the finished product!

You are about ~2 hours ahead of me. My 8lb'er is still in the WSM. I plan on resting it for at least 3 hours (or more if it comes off earlier).

I'll get a pic before I pull it. It wasn't very impressive though. It cooked too fast to even get a decent bark.

Below 140°F is the danger zone. As long as it stays above that you're OK.

Below 140°F is the danger zone. As long as it stays above that you're OK.

So the only real way to keep it out of the danger zone then would be to eat it above 140 degrees. Even if I put it in the fridge, it's gotta get from 141 down to 45 or whatever the fridge is set on, still putting it in the danger zone for a while.

If its wrapped, toweled and put in a cooler. If u pulled at 200 in 5 hours you will still be to hot to handle.

When u want to make temps dive. I break it apart, bag it and put the bags in ice water bath. It brings temp down fazt.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If its wrapped, toweled and put in a cooler. If u pulled at 200 in 5 hours you will still be to hot to handle.

Yes but even 120 is too hot to handle and well into the "danger zone"

I feel lucky. Imma just leave it wrapped and toweled until dinner. :biggrin1:

So the only real way to keep it out of the danger zone then would be to eat it above 140 degrees. Even if I put it in the fridge, it's gotta get from 141 down to 45 or whatever the fridge is set on, still putting it in the danger zone for a while.
There is a time limit on that I suppose. I don't know what is is of hand (WRT cooling.) For cooking, I know you need to go from 40 to 140 within 4 hours.

OK, since I mentioned it and you're asking for specifics, I felt I should provide a citation.

I found this: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Danger_Zone/index.asp

Among other information, I see:
If you aren't going to serve hot food right away, it's important to keep it at 140 °F or above.
and
... leftovers must be put in shallow containers for quick cooling and refrigerated at 40 °F or below within two hours.

They don't actually specify times but it's clear that if the butt drops below 140 °F the safest thing to do is cool it as quickly as practical.

I can't find a reference to the "40 to 140 in 4 hours" claim.

Back