MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Pricing HELP????

A buddy of mine asked me to cook for his St Paddys day party, I said I would and I would not charge him as long as he bought the meat. He said he would purchase the meat but insisted on paying me, so here is the run down.
I cooked 50 lbs of pork shoulder
the cook took 14 hrs
I used 4 of the large foil pans
1 xtra wide large roll of xtra heavy foil
seasoning and wood

I cooked the shoulder, delivered it to the party, pulled the meat, got it ready to serve and covered for his guests.
$168.00
That I charged 10.00 per hour for and 28.00 for the extras, and now he is pissed at me... Did I charge too much? and by the way the meat was awesome everyone at party and my buddy said so.
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
tim62988
Found some matches.

i don't think that sounds like too much, he's the one that insisted and I think that is a fair price.

i'm guessing you also got the sauce for the pork and for 50 pounds the sauce can add up quick if you sauced it all. I had $20 in bulls eye sauce for 40pounds of pork and that is a cheap (but very tasty) sauce to use.
tim62988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

50lbs pork your cost about $75 to yield 25lbs cooked meat at say $10 lb $250 minus the $75 for the pork he paid means you charge him $175

Now that is on the low end. Figuring you pretty much on site served it I would be at about $8 per person (but I run a business) 25lbs will be what I cook for 75 people. So that is 75 people X $8 = $600 that would include buns and sauce so if you deduct that and the $75 he paid for meats it puts you around $475-$500.

Long story short no you did not charge him too much but if he thinks so and you are not in it for the money just tell him it was free and remember it the next time he wants something.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

tim62988 and HBMTN thanks for your replies, you both answered my ? I really appreciate your input, I told him to see what a caterer would charge he wasnt interested in that. thanks again!
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
jacksedona
Take a breath!

i dont think you overcharged but their is a saying when it comes to friends and money-decide what you need more the money or the friend.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
Jarhead
Knows what a fatty is.

cost times 3.3
dropped off. serve yourself.