MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default Non-Productive Action

Hi,

Has the board engaged in any actions that you feel are unproductive? Do these actions rise to the level of an actual problem or are they just a head scratcher?

In reading the other thread, it seems that there may be an attempt to revive the 'nepotism' issue. For me, that's a problem.

Does anyone have any further information on this? Who is it that wants to bring this issue up again? What is their justification? Is it one person or more than one?

Knowing who is behind this and why will help me make my decision on who to vote for.

I hope that we can keep the discussion be as respectful and without rancor as possible.

Thanks,

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Should we be naming names here, I know a few. From what i know it is on the agenda again this week. Do you favor ir or not?

Organizing BBQ Contests Coast to Coast

www.arliequeevents.com
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlieque View Post
Should we be naming names here, I know a few. From what i know it is on the agenda again this week. Do you favor ir or not?
How do you know that? It isn't published....
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

What time is the BOD meeting this week?
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlieque View Post
I would like names, yes.

Eric

Old 11-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Are there any other activities that the board has been involved with over the past year that you have a problem with?

Eric

Old 11-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Are there any other activities that the board has been involved with over the past year that you have a problem with?

Eric

I could name names for you, but I am not sure if it will do KCBS any good by doing that... So I won't...

One thing that still sticks in my crawl... Is the whole MMA deal. I don't like how that whole situation was handled from the start in January 2007...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

The nepotism issue is a non issue and should just be passed. As Jeff said these people are elected and not appointed. There can be no nepotism here. So they should just pass it and laugh when someone tries to enforce it. Since there will be nothing to enforce.

Also what about ex post facto rulings. Are we to overturn elections by creating rules that "criminalize" previously legal actions?

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I could name names for you, but I am not sure if it will do KCBS any good by doing that... So I won't...

One thing that still sticks in my crawl... Is the whole MMA deal. I don't like how that whole situation was handled from the start in January 2007...
Scottie, you know I've been with ya on that. I did talk with Mike McCloud extensively at The Jack and while I'm not knowledgeable about the contract (I think we as members SHOULD be though), I at least feel better about what MMA is doing to help KCBS and bring in some extra funds that we can put to some outstanding uses if the board will approve them. I let Mike know up front in our conversation that between the comments made at the organizer roundtable then the famous "whether you like it or not" comment at the banquet that night, he was already on strike two with me. Mike acknowledged that the quote from the banquet was wrong for him to do and it didn't come out the way he intended it to sound. I pointed out that he's a marketing person and should have known EXACTLY how to word it. He agreed with me and said several people have told him about how that sounded. So then after we got all that out of the way, we had a pretty productive conversation and I left thinking that given the right situations, this MMA thing could be a big benefit to us. I like money and I like the possibilities it gives KCBS to do beneficial things for its members. I understand how MMA can help to deliver that. I would just insist that the details are made available to ALL members and not kept hidden in the shroud of secrecy that it has been thus far. We may not necessarily LIKE everything that goes on but at least if it's all available for us to see for ourselves, the distrust and suspicions won't be there and we can know how our organization is thinking and where they're headed with MMA and other such agreements. Transparency!!!

BTW... "non-productive action" - sort of an oxymoron, huh? LOL! It's like spinning your tires... you're not gonna go anywhere, just stay in place. That's not what we need.
KCBS Member #14287
Old 11-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #10
n2dabluebbq
On the road to being a farker

dear Jeff in kc,

first off i have no say in this matter whatsoever. especially since i have yet to join kcbs. but one of the things that has helped me stay away has been some of the issues in the recent past.
for an example lets use the mma thing and how you stated there should be transparency, but yet there isn't. another subject would be the nepotism thing. folks say it would not do any good concerning kcbs to say what is really going on and by whom and in what manner. but if things stay in secrecy, how are they ever to change?
these are just two of the things that have me still holding on to the walet and not let the money flow to the society. and while i do not expect a response much less some magic potion to solve all these concerns, i do feel that it would be nice to have someone who is running for a BOD position know that there just might be a few blokes that just may share the same concern as i do.
so in closing, i would like to say that i hope your words and feelings towards the direction of kcbs are true and sincere. good luck to you sir and thank you for allowing me to express my thoughts.
n2dabluebbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2dabluebbq View Post
dear Jeff in kc,

first off i have no say in this matter whatsoever. especially since i have yet to join kcbs. but one of the things that has helped me stay away has been some of the issues in the recent past.
for an example lets use the mma thing and how you stated there should be transparency, but yet there isn't. another subject would be the nepotism thing. folks say it would not do any good concerning kcbs to say what is really going on and by whom and in what manner. but if things stay in secrecy, how are they ever to change?
these are just two of the things that have me still holding on to the walet and not let the money flow to the society. and while i do not expect a response much less some magic potion to solve all these concerns, i do feel that it would be nice to have someone who is running for a BOD position know that there just might be a few blokes that just may share the same concern as i do.
so in closing, i would like to say that i hope your words and feelings towards the direction of kcbs are true and sincere. good luck to you sir and thank you for allowing me to express my thoughts.
I appreciate your comments. The fact that you aren't willing to pay to join KCBS is one of the things that concern me about our organization. I realize KCBS can't make everyone happy. I get that. But you are one in a line of people who have told me that they either would not join KCBS or would not renew. That being said, I know of four people who told me they already HAVE renewed because I am running for the BOD. I sincerely appreciate the faith those folks have in me to do a good job if elected. You can be certain that my feelings about the direction in which I believe KCBS should move are true and sincere. I have way, way too many friends in barbeque who would crucify me if I didn't support the issues I say I will! I will go so far as to say that IF elected, as the term comes to an end, I will survey as many people as I can and get an honest opinion as to whether I have done a good job and let the members determine if I should run for a second term. I will hold myself completely accountable for those opinions.
KCBS Member #14287