MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
regionalceleb
Got Wood.

Default UDS First Burn, couple of questions though - -pics

Heres my UDs I built over the past few days, did it in my spare time at work, its my first shot at one so Im not completely familiar with a few things and hoping you guys can help me out.

1. When lighting the coal (lump) I dumped half a bag into my basket and some into my chimney. After getting the ones in the Chimney hot I dumped them into the basket in the UDS. Is this an ok way to light them all, Its been over and hour and nothing else is catching on yet. Ive got all 3 of my air intakes open 100% and exhaust open all the way.

2. When online can I find an affordable screw on thermometer to gauge cooking temp. Cant find any locally.

Ive attached pics, atleast I hope so. first time Ive tried attaching pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lump coal trying to light.jpg (81.1 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg uds.jpg (75.8 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg uds1.jpg (60.0 KB, 220 views)
regionalceleb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

LOVE the drum as far as lighting unlit charcoal in the basket and about 10 lit in your chimney(if you have one) bring lit coals to hot white ash then put onto unlit charcoal. This will give you a slow burn for your cook. Have fun
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
regionalceleb
Got Wood.

Thanks Alan, wasnt sure if they would catch over time or not, Guess for my initial fire up I was expecting all to catch

Old 04-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Make a little well in the middle of your basket then dump the hot coals in the well. Good Luck Drum looks good
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
peppasawce
is one Smokin' Farker

Great UDS my man I have cooked on mine without ever painting it, you will simply love the set it and forget it UDS...And Lump is the way to go
peppasawce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice looking drum!
You should be ok the way you lit your drum but a hour is very long to get the rest of the coals lit.
I bought all my thermo's at: http://www.rivercountry101.com/servl...ERS/Categories

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
regionalceleb
Got Wood.

Thanks for the compliments ! This was actually the factory paint Mobil puts on their drums we get at work. I was hoping to paint it flat black with muffler paint but until then the red will do, Thanks for the link Phubar !

Old 04-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
dgassaway
Full Fledged Farker

Wal-Mart caries cheap candy/deep fry thermometers with 12" stems. These are long enough to read the temperature at the center of your cooking grate. Much better then the short stem thermometers that screw into the side IMO.

1 Weber 22.5 with Rib-O-Lator & [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Navy][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermopen[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]
____________[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=2][COLOR=midnightblue][FONT=Verdana]

PNWBA Board Member | CBJ #200356[/FONT]
Smokin' HOT Grillfriends | Wellseasoned & The CanadaQ Crew BBQ Team
Event Organizer: Big Red Barn Burner | Cloverdale Cowboy Cook-off | BBQ on the By Pass[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
dgassaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
regionalceleb
Got Wood.

Thanks David ! do you know if it came with the capture nut? I have a deep fry thermometer but I dont have a way to lock it to my UDS

Old 04-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
Mirage_Man
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

So was that a new Un-used drum? If not you really need to burn it out before cooking in it.
Mirage_Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
dgassaway
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by regionalceleb View Post
Thanks David ! do you know if it came with the capture nut? I have a deep fry thermometer but I dont have a way to lock it to my UDS
It does not. I carried a 9/16 bolt to a welding shop and he drilled a hole in the center to allow you to slide the thermometer in. Keep in mind it must be so you can remove it to allow you to take out the fire basket.
1 Weber 22.5 with Rib-O-Lator & [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Navy][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermopen[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]
____________[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=2][COLOR=midnightblue][FONT=Verdana]

PNWBA Board Member | CBJ #200356[/FONT]
Smokin' HOT Grillfriends | Wellseasoned & The CanadaQ Crew BBQ Team
Event Organizer: Big Red Barn Burner | Cloverdale Cowboy Cook-off | BBQ on the By Pass[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
dgassaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgassaway View Post
It does not. I carried a 9/16 bolt to a welding shop and he drilled a hole in the center to allow you to slide the thermometer in. Keep in mind it must be so you can remove it to allow you to take out the fire basket.
Thats the easiest and cheapest way to do it. I used a hydraulic bulkhead fitting with lock washer and a cap, but still had to drill the cap to fit the probe.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

I just drilled a hole in my drum that lined up with a hole in the handle. More than enough support for the light weight thermometer

Old 04-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
jswordy
is one Smokin' Farker

Get a Harbor Freight weed burner, man. $20. Hooks to a propane tank. I put my coals in the basket, a few fist-sized chunks of wood on top, and then I blast it with this thing for about 2-3 minutes, and everything is lit nicely. Then just lower the basket in the drum. I use a $4 fireplace poker for that. It's great for re-starting old coals, too. I just close my drum up after I smoke, so if there are unused coals, I take the basket out, clean out the ash pan, add anything I need to top it up, then blast it. I typically get two 6-10 hour cooks out of one load of coal/wood.

BONUS: Sounds like a jet engine! Impresses all who see you. Every man should have one.

Helpful hints: A wire bale off a 5-gallon bucket works perfect for a fire basket bale. Removed the plastic handhold from it, and make a small dimple in the middle of the wire where the plastic handhold was, to keep the basket from sliding when you use your fireplace poker hook to lower it down in the drum. The bale is much thicker than ordinary wire. Also, a 2" pipe at least 6" long on the lid will improve your draw, even with the small venting bung closed off.

You are on your way to years of good cue on that thing! Congrats!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #15
regionalceleb
Got Wood.

@ Mirage Man - the drum was Mobil Oil Grease drum that had a pull out liner in it, after yanking out the liner there was a light coating to prevent rust on it that we washed and scrubbed out. These pics were from my first burn, havent cooked anything in it yet, was hoping to do ribs or a brisket this weekend but now theres 5 days of rain predicted.

@jswordy heard a lot about the weed burners from Harbor freight, we actually have a HF store in town, think Im gonna check it out. Ive read some good and some bad about the burner but sounds almost to "cool" to pass up

Tags
uds