Water pan in a UDS

toddrod

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am going to be adding a water pan to my UDS. Can anyone tell me how far above the coals should I place it?

I do not mean to sound difficult but what is your goal by adding a water pan to a UDS?

I am want to add it because I have all the necessary parts just laying around and I figured if it works in a 22" WSM then it should work in a 22" UDS. Just want to try something different

I've tried a water pan in my UDS and found that just a round 16" Terra cotter tray from Home Depot wrapped in foil does just as well.

If you really want to try a water pan, put it 4" to 6" above the fire and make sure you put boiling hot water in it when you start out and expect to add more boiling water at some point through the cook if you are cooking something like a pork butt, brisket or ribs.

Good luck, bro. Have fun either way, too.

This will also be part of an upgrade for my UDS. I addition to this I will be adding a 2nd side shelf and my IQ110 will be arriving tomorrow. Also adding a flat piece of metal to the dolly handle which I will be able to attach my thermometer. Possible going to add hinges on my lid and add hooks to hang my cooking utensils.

All of mine are designed to use the water pan. Most of the time it's in place, full of juices or other flavor enhancers. The only time I cook without is for chicken, with the heat up, and not every time. With my air intake sytems, putting warm fluid in pan to start means faster up to temp times, around two minutes, after dumping chimney in. Cool fluids slow that time to around five minutes until ready to cook. On mine no need for boiling water. Also it's placement ends up anywhere from four plus inches to farther, depending on fuel load.I also use a smoker plate that the the pan sits on. And we switch to water after halfway into cook. My big pits don't need the water pan, the barrels love it. Plenty of great food has been created without using them. I like the comfort zone in timing and the extra flavor we get with them. Good luck. Steve.

I dont have a water UDS, but it would seem that it would increase your burn time, and stabilize you cooking temp. I would think your cooker would run cooler, and therefore you could decrease amount of fuel used? Dont really know?

I dont do a water pan but i do put a around pan a little bigger then the firebox just to help dispurse the heat a little and to catch some of the drippings. I think the uds is already moist enough that a water pan would just be a pain because you would have to refill it. I have an iQue 110 on mine and you literally will be able to set it and then walk away until the meat is done sow hy give yourself something you have to refill :)

On most cooks we hear the pan gurgle or make a noise saying to refill. Only goes down to around half at that point, which is when I want to look anyway. That's usually around a two hour mark. I'm not one to walk away or go to sleep when cooking, on most cooks. When we cooked 74# in a 55gal model,the pan caught most of the rendered grease instead of putting the fire out or giving off a nasty burnt taste. Steve.

Just trying to do some math here. I take it you were doing butts and since I usually end up with a cooked weight of about 50% that would mean that you would have over 25lbs of grease in your tray? How big is your tray?

I don't see why a water pan wouldn't work. You'll just burn a bit more fuel and take a bit longer to get to running temp, but temps should be more stable if that's even possible. The only problem I see is adding water once it runs low.

I just use a diffuser (aluminun pizza pan or the ash pan from my ECB) in mine and it has worked great. So great that I'm temped to add another rack lower in my rig and ditch the whole 22' Weber lid for big cooks.

So great that I'm temped to add another rack lower in my rig and ditch the whole 22' Weber lid for big cooks.

What would ditching the 22' (that sucker is huge :icon_smile_tongue:) Weber lid do to help fir bigger cooks?

What would ditching the 22' (that sucker is huge :icon_smile_tongue:) Weber lid do to help fir bigger cooks?

I just had problems with temp control using the weber lid. It seemed really vulnerable to changes in wind speed. I think the smoke stack worked better at controling for wind, but that could have been before i added my diffuser.

i added a second rack about 6" above the top of the coal basket, i started out by using water or other juice in the pan, but any more i just throw a 1/2 pan in the middle of the rack to catch the majority of the drippings. i think it helps although i havent really taken the time to play with it to determine how much.

as another poster noted, quick cooks (under 3 hours ) no pan, anything longer i use the catch pan. (i seem to get a cleaner burn if that seems possible.)

Back