New Year's Andouille and Tasso Smoke - Pr0n

Teamfour

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We are from Louisiana and are tired of not being able to find real sausage here in VA. Yesterday I ground up 10 lbs of pork butt to make andouille. I used the recipe from nolacuisine.com. I used 22mm collagen casings. The sausage was put in the refrigerator overnight to bloom and dry out.

This morning I fired up the BWS Party. I put a 1/2 pan in the fire box and put KB in the remaining gaps along with two chunks of pecan. I lit the end with a Weber cube but ended up dumping about eight briquettes from the chimney to bring the temp up faster since it was in the low 30s outside. This setup worked well. The temps were around 130 for two hours while the thin line of charcoal burned and then went up to 180-200 when the thicker back row and chunks lit up.

The sausage was in smoke for about 5 hours until it hit 155 IT. I then immersed it in ice water for 15 minutes, vacuum sealed it, and in the freezer it went. This smelled and looked fantastic.

While the sausage was smoking, I cut up about four lbs of butt to make Tasso. I used Ruhlman's recipe and cured the meat for four hours, rinsed, and coated in seasoning. I think the meat could have cured for a while longer to get more of a ham texture. After the sausage came out of the smoker, the Tasso went in for about four hours of pecan smoke until it hit 155 IT. I did have to add about a pound of charcoal to the fire box and another chunk to maintain 200 degrees after the sausage came out. Tasso was cooled, sealed, and frozen.

Here are some pictures and ask me questions - I'm sure I left some detail out.

Attachments

• andouille1.jpg
    andouille1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0757.JPG
    IMG_0757.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0756.JPG
    IMG_0756.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0754.JPG
    IMG_0754.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0749.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 115
  • andouille3.jpg
    andouille3.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 113
  • andouille2.jpg
    andouille2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 112
I have an empty plate and some really good mustard here. Ah, one link sausage please. looks great.

man that looks good. I love that recipe from NOLA cuisine.

You made NUMEROUS,potentially,hazardous mistakes! :shock:

I will P.M.you with shipping instructions to safely discard of ALL the contaminated product immediately!:becky:

Just funnin,my friend.It looks AWESOME!!!:clap2:

I had to follow up with a picture of some links fried up and placed on a toasted onion bun with Cowtown sauce. I have eaten some of the best andouille in the world (Jacobs, Veron) and I have to say this blew me away. The texture and taste was amazing - hints of garlic, fresh thyme, pepper, cayenne. Just a little bite on the back end. One issue: since I sliced the links length-wise, the collagen casing shrunk and peeled off.

Attachments

• IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 36
Looks and sounds fantastic! The casing peeling back can't be a bad thing either. I usually don't like the casing anyway.

Back