Cooked another brisket

LanceM88

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First time I used my new pellet cooker. It took forever! About 12 hours at 250 to cook a 15 lb CAB brisket. I did not use a water pan like I usually do in my backwoods party and it has much better bark and a killer smoke ring! WTH?? I used bludawg's recipe, except I injected a little broth(sorry bludawg). It was the first time I wrapped in butcher paper, could that have helped the smoke ring? Sorry, I have no idea how to include pics. And besides, I didn't get it on the smoker till after 1 pm! Needless to say, by about 3 am, I didn't really care how it came out!! Wrapped it up and left it on the counter. Put it in the fridge this morning, still warm, and sliced it up when I got home from work. Very good slices. The point was nothing but fat, and I mean nothing else!

I like to run them at. 300* and knock them out in 6/7 hrs myself. Injecting can Add to total cook time. If you put meat on cold it'll show more smoke ring.

At 250, that is actually not that long of a cook. Don't be afraid of a little more heat. Assuming you were wrapping in foil before and switched to BP this time, yes that will help with your bark. For photos click on go advanced and then manage attachments. You can also insert the img link from photobucket.

when its done its done...adjust pit temp to aprox time you require to remove, always allow rest time before slice..better to get done early vrs later..and also this was your first cook, take notes and do another today!!

Your doing something better than me if it was done in that amount of time. The briskets I did last weekend cooked 10hrs and were still not quite done they were in butcher paper 6 hrs. Not sure what's going on there!!!

Back