MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #16
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

I think it will make a good smoker, use an electric heat source
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #17
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

I like your thinking! But like others, I think a WBDS is prolly out of the question... and coating the inside would kind of defeat the purpose... hot concrete is gonna stink. Warm smoky wine however...

But...
Lay it on it's side, Cut an access hole in one end shaped like a "D", put hinges on the flat edge to make a door (leave enough material around the access hole so that the end remains tight in the bands)
Attach a side fire box to one end with some sort of insulation barrier between them or a short piece of ducting, put a heat shield baffle in the lower 1/4 of it to redirect the smoke/heat, use the bung hole for a grease drip hole and call up swamprb to send you a few staves of his barrel so that you can make a mini chimney (even if you have to use pipe inside and just use the staves to give it the finishing touch).
Lastly call this guy to have him make a Rib-O-Lator that will fit it. With a hole drilled in the fire box end you should be able to attach a rotisserie bracket for the motor and pass the other end of the rod thru a small hole in the door

Now the problem you will have is keeping the wood from drying out and allowing the staves to loosen, you might be able to use a heat gun and some parafin wax to melt wax into the outside to give it a sealant that isn't going to affect flavor. Heck, the wax will probably darken up that color a bit and give you a nice polished shine too!

If all else fails and the thing just isn't going to come together, you can always use it for smoke (unless you wax it, then your Q will prolly end up tasting like Tony Roma's or some crap, but hey! What else is all that sauce for??)

Hmm, now I need to find a barrel... my wife is gonna kill me.

Now smoke if you got em'!
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #18
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Alright, well that got me thinkerin' and I decided to build one real quick. Didn't take long, you can see it's still kinda rough but it looks like it should work! =)

Waddaya think?? Purdy nifty huh?
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #19
NoobEgger
Found some matches.

Ha Ha, thats pretty funny. But honestly that looks like a good idea. Someone needs to try it out and see what happens-an oak barrel smoker trial run.
NoobEgger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #20
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think it's a fire waiting to happen...
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2009, 01:16 AM   #21
Norcoredneck

I had seen one that is layed horizontal on top of a vertical drum that had a door cut into it of tending fire. woyld be cool to make one like that with another oak barrel as a faux shell on bottom. I will see if I can find pic.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2009, 01:31 AM   #22
Norcoredneck

Still looking...

http://s359.photobucket.com/albums/o...w&t=1227559141

http://valariebudayr.typepad.com/lea...el-smoker.html

http://www.grandcrusmokers.com/pictures.html

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #23
Norcoredneck

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Build-a-Beaut...1008148001r796

http://www.smokinjoesbq.com/joessmokebarrelbq.html
http://www.smokinjoesbq.com/images/smkbrl_info.pdf

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 11-03-2009, 05:32 AM   #24
swamprb

Like I said-
Lotsa pics, but no food pron!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #25
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Here's one. I'll keep searching but I know he has pics of food also.
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/vi...hlight=whiskey
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #26
roygilbert
Got rid of the matchlight.

I believe I would turn into a "vintner" real quick and make a chardonay to go with the ribs on my good ole steel UDS!!
roygilbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2009, 06:29 AM   #27
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Here's food pron.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2009, 06:57 AM   #28
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

just off the top of the noggin... how about using it as a the upper smoking chamber only... above a firepit... in the Double Barrel Smoker configuration.

That way... the fire is contained seperately... the only hard part... is to contour and seal the stove pipe flanges .

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #29
plethoraofpinatas
On the road to being a farker

First, this isn't a wine board, so who cares if it is French oak? You aren't gonna get any flavor from the oak unless you burn it, so my first inclination is to chop it up and use it for a special occassion, maybe that Thanksgiving turkey? Think of the shocked look on your wine-snob friends' faces when you tell them how you smoked that bird!

If you must keep it, how about creating a fire box and piping in the heat/smoke from the side?
plethoraofpinatas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #30
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Found these somewhere...I think it's a good idea to build a smoker but just need to be real careful about having the lid off when you have a fire in the barrel. If it stirs up a fire as fast as my UDS then you'll have a nice fire on your hands in no time flat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wine Barrel smoker 1.jpg (8.1 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg wine barrel smoker 2.jpg (8.9 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg wine barrel smoker 3.jpg (8.8 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg wine barrel smoker 4.jpg (11.7 KB, 422 views)
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote