MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Dairy Queen "BBQ" Sammy Clone

Recently, while my Dad was eating a pork BBQ sandwich that I made he mentioned that I should make some BBQ Dairy Queen (DQ) style. Now, I did my best to hide the insulted look on my face and agreed to give it a go.

If my Dad wants it, I will do my best to give it to him. So, here is my attempt to clone a DQ "BBQ" sandwich.

First thing I did was stop by the local DQ and order a "BBQ" sandwich. The kid that waited on me came from the back with something in a paper cup looking thing and put it in the microwave. It was pork with "BBQ" sauce mixed in. He let it heat in the microwave, put it on a bun, and put it back in the microwave to heat up the whole thing.

I took it home, and started to work on cloning it. Here is what I came up with.

Start with a barbecued pork butt -

Pick some delicious pulled pork -

Chop it and add some chicken broth and Head Country BBQ sauce -

Simmer it until it becomes very soft - almost mushy -

Add some Head Country BBQ sauce to taste -

Then add some pulled and coarsely chopped BBQ pork to the mix. There should be some texture to it.

Give it all a stir -

Serve on a bun microwaved for about 8 seconds. Here the real DQ "BBQ" sammy is on the left and the clone is on the right -

You will get a higher quality BBQ sandwich without the fat and gristle that comes in a Dairy Queen sandwich. Also, it will be real BBQ rather than a "crock pot" style of cooked pork warmed over in a microwave. The sesame seeds are optional, as you can see. They add nothing to the DQ sammy.

My Dad loves it! So, don't judge me too harshly, brethren. If cooking BBQ is about making people who are important to you happy, I have achieved that goal.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Looks good to me! Nice pr0n!

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
landarc

A fine sandwich Bo, I commend you. I bet it was good

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Your version looks like it was quite good. I bet that the seeded bun would have a positive psychological impact for him even if it didn't add anything to the taste.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

looks great. good stuff...im certain yours taste a million times better.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I,as you, will do my Dayumdest to fulfill ANY and ALL requests made by my Dad.
Super Job!!!! Kudos to YOU!!!!!!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Great sandwiches!!!
John

Old 02-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
Bludawg

First off Good on ya for taking care of your Pa! DQ is my Fast/Junk food of choice that samich must be a regional thing I have never seen it on the menu here but I'd try it once. Yours on the other hand I would fight a Rabid Pit Bull with aids for a just a bite.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm not sure about the whole aids infested rabid pit bull thing, but that does look like a pretty good sammich. That pork butt looks awesome also.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

The butt looks great.

I've never tried that sauce but may give it a go sometime soon.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #11
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
First off Good on ya for taking care of your Pa! DQ is my Fast/Junk food of choice that samich must be a regional thing I have never seen it on the menu here but I'd try it once. Yours on the other hand I would fight a Rabid Pit Bull with aids for a just a bite.
Your local DQ is certainly nowhere near what he has in Virginia. After all it is the "official stop sign of Texas", and therefore is a different breed than what is available in other parts of the country. For example, you can't get a "DUDE" outside of Texas that I know of. (chicken fried steak sammich for you foreigners) When I lived in South Texas, I rotated between the local DQ and Whataburger for my fast food fix. Can't find anything near the taste of a Whataburger here in Georgia. I guess the local Sonic comes closest. Dang, I miss Texas!

Blessings,

Omar

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #12
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

There is a Whataburger in Cola SC that was renovated some years back. It's not the same as it was when I was a kid in the mid to late 70's. It was a treat when Mom would take us to get a "wattaburger". I haven't seen a DQ around here that sells BBQ but most of the ones here are small outfits alongside gas stations.

That picture of that butt is making me hungry. I think I'll stop by the market on the way home from work this morning and get me some butt.

Last edited by kds9547; 02-08-2013 at 03:46 AM..
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #13
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

There is one just north of Birmingham Ala. on I65, but a little far for me to run and get a quick fix.

Blessings,

Omar

Old 02-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #14
Phubar

Throw one at me!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #15
LMAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
If cooking BBQ is about making people who are important to you happy, I have achieved that goal.
Indeed it is, you are a good son.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote