Running for BOD against a group ticket?

I have not decided who I am voting for, but this is what I do know. I know of five people that are running, all five are because of this fantastic site. One I PMed personally to get more info on views and received a nice easy to understand opinion on some of my concerns and reading the others views I agree with almost everything I read.

I think each of you that wants to run deserves kudos for even wanting to volunteer your time and sanity, it couldnt have been an easy decision.

I have only been a member of KCBS for a few years and I do have some issues but being newer to the whole thing I dont think I have the right to question what has been going on for years only what is going on now and to be honest if there wasnt MANY good things about KCBS I would have never joined, so the board must have done some things right but I do think it is time to get some new views in the BOD.

When it is time to place my vote I will vote for those that share my views, nothing more nothing less and I personally am trying to read as much info as I can on each candidate.

Hi Leatherhead (and all the other candidates),

I am a one issue voter. Last year, the membership voted overwhelmingly for KCBS to look into regional BOD members. I have avoided reading all the other BOD threads to wait for the offical statements in the Bullsheet, but the title of this tread caught my eye. If you or any of the other candidates state they are in favor of regional BODs, you have my vote. Hope to read your statements in the Bullsheet.

Thanks for running, Benny

I am a one issue voter. Last year, the membership voted overwhelmingly for KCBS to look into regional BOD members. I have avoided reading all the other BOD threads to wait for the offical statements in the Bullsheet, but the title of this tread caught my eye. If you or any of the other candidates state they are in favor of regional BODs, you have my vote. Hope to read your statements in the Bullsheet.

Benny, I appreciate your question and I would be happy to address it. I do believe that regional representation would be a good thing. It sounds like certain regions of the country where there are KCBS members don't have the voice like other areas do. I am very fortunate to live in Iowa. In terms of KCBS, Iowa is in the BBQ belt and has representation in the area. It looks like the Northeastern part of the country as well as the Ohio Valley is in need of a bigger voice and a solution would be to implement some type of regional structure similar to a township or precinct representation model.
While I recall this being a project for the current board I don't believe that the pursuit has been very ambitious at all.
Different areas of our great country face all kinds of different challenges and needs and KCBS may not be able to adapt unless a strong local voice is on the board representing those needs.
Finally, by implementing a structure like this some BOD seats may have to be early termed or changed in some manner in order to make the change and that may be a nightmare but a nightmare that could lead to some peacefull nights down the line for all.
I hope that helps you see where I stand on the issue Benny. Have a great day!

I think you'll have to flip a coin to determine whether I earn your vote or not:wink:

I personally support the idea of regional representation, but I'm not certain that I've seen a plan that I'm sure that I could support. I'd need to review the most recent plan presented to see if it addresses the following concerns.

Membership will shift based on two primary factors. Growth or shrinkage in any given region due to a rise in popularity from media exposure for example. The second contributing factor will be CBJ classes since the majority of members join as a result of a class. For the distribution of representation to be fair KCBS will have to break down the numbers on an annual basis and essential redraw the district lines. I like to have faith in my fellow man, but I would not look forward to that annual task and debate.

Lets assume for a moment that we do adopt some form of regional representation, an election is held, and new members are seated. The following year, another group of members call for the issue to be presented to membership a second time and this time it doesn't have the support of membership. Isn't the board then obligated to eliminate something that you personally believe in based on the voice of the membership in that given year? If that cycle continued I believe it could potentially lead to even larger regional rivalry, for lack of a better term, than we have now.

Those are my concerns, but I would be willing to support a plan to achieve your goal if it sufficiently addressed at least some of those concerns. If you or someone else has something ready to go, I'd like to look at it and give it some thought.

I think you might be over complicating it. Just divide the Country into 4 or 5 regions and elect a director from each region plus "at large" directors to fill the board.

The expedient solution would be to open constructive dialogues with the regional organizations vs ignoring their existance or waging war on them.:boxing:

I think you might be over complicating it. Just divide the Country into 4 or 5 regions and elect a director from each region plus "at large" directors to fill the board.

The expedient solution would be to open constructive dialogues with the regional organizations vs ignoring their existance or waging war on them.:boxing:

I agree that 4 or 5 regions that could be georgraphically seperated would be best. One simple means of doing it would be to take the entire membership database, export the zipcodes and plot them onto a map. Then, take a marker and divide the map into x amount of regions based on member locations and go from there. The political redistricting here in Iowa has become a nightmare. If the KCBS could keep it simple and approach it with a common sense logic you could make it work fairly easily.

For Real ?

I agree they all seem to be great guys but, none of them walk in my shoes as a competitor that competes in 8-16 contests each year, judge 2-6 contests each year, work full time, and then try to create a well rounded son.
The BOD needs people like Jeff, Steve, Dave, and George, but they could use someone lime me too. Adding four people that are like minded made add some transparency to the BOD but you are in the same situation you are in now, a group of buddies that play together and stay together.

I agree they all seem to be great guys but, none of them walk in my shoes as a competitor that competes in 8-16 contests each year, judge 2-6 contests each year, work full time, and then try to create a well rounded son.
The BOD needs people like Jeff, Steve, Dave, and George, but they could use someone lime me too. Adding four people that are like minded made add some transparency to the BOD but you are in the same situation you are in now, a group of buddies that play together and stay together.

I don't say much....but, I HAVE to on this one.

It's unfortunate that you had a heart attack. It's fortunate that you're appreciating things/life more.

Not everyone has been blessed with a child.

No one can walk in your shoes. No one can walk in their shoes.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones.....You give numerous reasons why people shouldn't vote for the "ticket" and THAT, sir, is what is overshadowing ANY type of reason to vote for you.

I don't say much....but, I HAVE to on this one.

It's unfortunate that you had a heart attack. It's fortunate that you're appreciating things/life more.

Not everyone has been blessed with a child.

No one can walk in your shoes. No one can walk in their shoes.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones.....You give numerous reasons why people shouldn't vote for the "ticket" and THAT, sir, is what is overshadowing ANY type of reason to vote for you.

I didn't see any reasons given besides 4 very like minded people running for the BOD is very similar to what we have now. I believe that all candidates are hoping for transparency and the details are coming out about individual ideas. A little diversity along the lines is a good thing for any governing body. I am sorry that you were offended, and I apologize for that.

BJ -- I think you need to listen to MP3's of the board meetings and read the minutes over the last several months. I think you'll find that closed sessions have agendas that are posted on the kcbs.us website (last item on your video agenda). I absolutely would not characterize the board as a "group of buddies that stay and play together." If we are, we don't play well together and should be spending alot of quality in-the-corner-thinking-on-bad-behavior time.

I wish you well on your run for the board. If you are elected, I will enjoy serving with you.

Thanks for posting Candy. It's refreshing hearing the other side of things that we like to rail on as members.

It truly is a thankless job, one that i couldnt and can't do. So whether we agree or disagree on subjects, i appreciate it. :thumb:

BJ, as a Bronco fan myself, when did you work for Denver and in what capacity? I Think you mentioned sports medicine? What did you think of Greek? He's been there forever. One of the best, I hear.

Back