Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Vince RnQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Now that the competition season is over for most of the country, I was wondering what meats, if any, you are thinking about making changes to? We are always open to making tweaks and small adjustments throughout the year but my question is related to making a pretty big change in methodology or in flavor, etc.

Here's what we've been talking about adjusting over the next few months:

Chicken - Not much change planned here. We're pretty happy with the results we've been getting this season and so, aside from those tweaks I mentioned above, we probably won't spend much time working on this meat.

Ribs - We made some major changes from 2009 to 2010 and fortunately our scores improved. We're much more satisfied with the texture we are achieving but we think there's a lot of room for improvement in color and flavor. Looks like we'll finally be able to make use of all those trimmed and vacuum sealed racks that ended up in the freezer over the course of the year!

Pork - Only minor changes planned for this meat. The changes we made for the 2010 season allowed us to turn out some of the best pork we've ever cooked so the changes will probably be very small. We like where we're at with pork right now.

Brisket - This is one meat where we think we have the greatest opportunity for improvement from 2010 to 2011. Although we've had some really great calls in Brisket this year, we've also had some results that cost us dearly in the Overall. I guess this meat feels like our least consistent so we're going to work on this one and see if we can improve it based on all the things we've learned throughout the year.

OK, what about you?

I'm looking at changing a few things:

Chicken: We did okay here but, will be trying a different rub mix

Ribs: We did terrible (only one call all year) - looking at a complete revamp, been testing rubs to finishing sauces to cooking temps, etc. Planning on taking a cooking class mainly for help here.

Pork: We did great here - no major changes, but will be trying to use the UDS for cooking - not sure if we'll use it in contests yet.

Brisket: We did great here also - no major changes other than trying the UDS to see if I can get a better smoke ring.

Next year will be first year competing. Will finish up my master judge requirements sometime in April and then hope to do a few contest and finish up at the Royal. So I am adjusting everything at this moment. I feel pretty solid on brisket. Still doing some minor adjustments on pork and chicken and am at scratch with ribs. Looking forward to every weekend from now till the season opens back up.

Ribs were top 10 everywhere we went, pork most places.

We are awesome at making 13th place chicken, so that will be the first one we work on. Plus, I think we will different cuts used more next year on the circuit. The reign of the thigh is coming to an end.

Great topic!..we have been really happy with our brisket and pork finishes this year,and when those two meats have not placed well I went back to pictures and and notes..all my fault rookie mistakes!..either overcooked or bark not set up well enough,so as far as those two we aren't really going to change too much,chicken and ribs have been all over the place but we just got a new Mak 2 star pellet smoker so I have already been practicing with chicken and ribs on it.I really like the results so far the color is just what I've been looking for and the ability to be able to ramp it up to a higher heat to finish is just a turn of a knob!.so those are our changes but were gonna be ready to use them a Tom's farms..here is a pic of some of the ribs do you like the color?
71b6be88.jpg

I'll be making some changes.

Chicken - Going with whole rotisserie game hen leg quarters. They're juicy, have crispy skin and look good in a box.

Brisket - doing ok here, probably won't change much.

Pork - got one 7th place call this year. Going to start injecting with my Carolina mustard sauce and see if that takes it up any.

Ribs - biggest change here. Have always done spares in the past, but began playing with BBs and have decided I like them better. Same method, same rub, same sauce... just different rib.

We'll see.

2010 was our rookie year so we're making some big changes. The first change is moving from 3 BGE's to 1 BGE and an FEC 100. I am so tired of moving eggs and worrying about breaking them. It will also be nice to get the consistency of an FEC 100. The other major thing is I'm going to try and get away from the "feel" of the meat to a temperature. We have been too hit or miss using a toothpick to test for tenderness. Many of the ideas we have for the off season are coming from a class that we took a week ago with Plowboys.

Chicken: Our chicken has been our weakest meat by far and is the one we're changing the most. We are trying everything we can think of between now and late February.

Ribs: We have finally found out a couple of mistakes we were making as far as seasoning is concerned. We'll be practicing with spares and BB's on each cook to find which product is more consistent.

Pork: We're going to change it very little. I'm going to find one source of pork and use that exclusively. Last year we used bone in and boneless from 4 different sources for 4 different contests. We're also going to find a sauce for pork rather than changing it every contest.

Brisket: We are looking to possibly tweak the sauce a little bit but nothing drastic. Right now this is our best category.

We're also going to find a sauce for pork rather than changing it every contest.

Scottie recommends Kraft.

Always trust a World Champion!

On the other had, America seems to be in love with the McRib so maybe you should try that sauce too.

Last edited:
Scottie recommends Kraft.

Always trust a World Champion!

On the other had, America seems to be in love with the McRib so maybe you should try that sauce too.

I've tried to buy McDonald's BBQ Sauce... they said I couldn't get it and we represent McDonald's!!!! Otherwise I would use that instead of Kraft!!!

Dont know which one but I am taking a class this winter, looking to be more consistent . Chicken still sucks the other 3 mostly good but you always can improve .

I've tried to buy McDonald's BBQ Sauce... they said I couldn't get it and we represent McDonald's!!!! Otherwise I would use that instead of Kraft!!!

I have 15 packs of McDonalds BBQ sauce at home. One more rib placing like my last contest and it might be game on.

I'll be making some changes.

Chicken - Going with whole rotisserie game hen leg quarters. They're juicy, have crispy skin and look good in a box.

Give some to your friends and watch how they eat those leg quarters. I'm willing to bet that where they take the bite there won't be much meat at that location if they are cornish game hens. I realized this after my last comp watching friends and family eat the extra leg quarters. One side of the thigh has significantly more meat than the other.

Have you ever looked at a picture of you and Scotty together????? I definately know who would get the sauce!!!!!:tape:

I got better Crocs though Mack... otherwise I agree completely with you. She also has better team shirts...

I am not sure if this is a good or off limits question I am a 2 yr. comp. team best we did this yr. was a 4th in pork and 7th in chicken in same kcbs contest my question is to
Rhyhem n Que and the others I feel are the top teams question is how does a team get the finishes from the 20s to the top 10s I myself practice alot but the numbers are all over and for the most part I cook to the same temps and times Ihave taken some judging classes kcbs certified and im no better of a cook ??any help from the top teams not asking for there magic just how did you guys go from mid pack to the top and for the most part keep your finishes in the top half ???

Back