MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Default High Heat Brisket - First attempt with pron of course.

Been wanting to try a full packer brisket for a long time (they are hard to find in my neck of the woods), but never have liked the idea of losing my beauty sleep over a brisket. Now that more and more folks are doing high heat briskets, I figured it was time I gave it a try. Got all of my info from two sources. Kickass's site has a page on high heat briskets: http://www.kickassbbq.com/quick_cook_brisket.htm
and a thread on the virtual bullet site that was supplied to me by jason that has tons of good info: http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a...6930045465/p/1

After reading through everything, I came up with this game plan:
Smoke at 325 to 340 degrees until internal temp of 160.
Foil, and smoke at 350 to 360 until internal temp of 180.
Remove foil to firm up the bark and smoke until tender.

So lets get started!

The meat: 11 1/2 lb brisket (select) from walmart superstore. They didn't have choice, so I'm stuck with select.

The rub: "No Sugar Rub" from thirdeye's site. Didn't want to use sugar at these high temps. http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...8/03/rubs.html

WSM fuel: Full ring of RO lump, with 4 chunks of hickory and 2 chunks of apple. Going heavy on the wood since the time on smoke will be limited. Couldn't get a pic cause it started drizzling and had to rush to get everything loaded.

My fuel: Terrapin Rye Squared Imperial Pale Ale. Brewed right up the road from me in Athens Georgia, home of the Georgia Bulldogs and REM.

12:30pm. Locked and loaded. Have two NASA heat shields (heavy duty foil) at each end since I had to squeeze the packer in and wanted to protect the ends from direct heat. Water pan is empty, but foiled on both sides, then added an extra layer of foil on top that had a gap between it and the layer underneath. This was a tip from the virtual bullet thread that said it keeps the drippings from burning. Did it help? Dunno.

1:30pm. Smoker temp is 330, brisket temp is 117. No peeky so no pic.I thought I might have to do a door prop mod to maintain high temps, but not only was that not necessary, I've actually had to clamp down on the vents.

2:00pm. Smoker temp is 332, brisket temp is 133. Temps not nearly as stable as with a heat sink (I normally use sand), plus the weather keeps changing from clouds, drizzle, to full sun.

2:30pm. Smoker temp is 330, brisket temp is 150. Temps still wander more than normal, but it's pretty easy to keep it in line.

2:50pm. Internal temp is 159, so pulling to foil. Total smoke time is 2 hours 20 min at his point.

3:05pm. Foiled and loaded.

3:30pm. Smoker temp is 360, brisket temp is 165.

4:00pm. Smoker temp is 356, brisket temp is reading 193. I decided to pull from the foil, but shouldn't have. I knew this temp was artifically high due to the steam, but it had been almost an hour in foil and I wanted time to firm up the bark. True temp was around 180, so I could have kept on foil at least another 20 to 30 min. Still had over 2 cups of juice even with the short foil time. Next time I will foil for an hour and 15 minutes no matter what the temps read. Panic mod.

4:15. The dipping sauce. Poured the drippings into a measuring cup, then used a turkey baster to pull 1/4 cup of the drippings from the bottom (to avoid the fat). Added this to my Frankstein sauce, which has a little bit of everything: 2 cups plus 2 TBSP ketchup, 3/4 cup water, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 TBSP yellow mustard, 1 TBSP onion powder, 1 TBSP garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cayenne, 1 TBSP chili powder, 1 TBSP paprika, 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 2 TBSP honey.

4:30. Smoker temp is kind of stuck at 340, so using high-tech NASA certified door prop mod. Only needed for about 3 min.

5:20. Pulled from smoker. Brisket temp around 195, depending on where I measure. The flat tapers really thin, I should have bought a more consistently sized flat, but too late now. Temps and tenderness really vary depending on where I test on the flat.

Brisket definitely got more moist and tender the further I moved towards the point. I think if my flat had a more consistent thickness, more of the flat would have come out this way.

The Verdict: I'd give it a B-, maybe a C+. Two things I would do different - Foil for hour and 15 minutes no matter what the temps read, and buy packer with a thicker and more consistently sized flat. It really got narrow at the end, so that portion overcooked and dried out. Flavor was good, and I think I have the high heat technique down, just need to perfect the meat. At least my packer cherry is now popped, and considering I lit the chimney after noon and was eating by six, not too shabby.
Overall it was great fun, and can't wait to try another one!

Bonus shots: Oakleaf Hydrangeas in bloom in the backyard. Must be May.

That's all!
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."

Last edited by Saiko; 05-25-2009 at 09:40 PM..
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I did 6 flats (cab) last night for a school function they really cook fast the heat prolly average 290.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Phesant
Babbling Farker

Great job Saiko..... that sure looks good, and great pron

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
DaveT
Full Fledged Farker

Nice post Saiko! I like the dippen sauce idea, thanks.
DCS Gasser
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
bigabyte

Looks like a good job for a first time at high heat to me. Keeping it in foil is important for high heat brisket in my opinion. I'm back to low heat briskets now. I can't seem to make up my mind and stick with it for the rest of my life. I have to swtich up every couple years I guess.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I thought I saw high heat smoke coming from the west!

Good job neighbor!

Uncle Bud
Uncle Buds BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Keeping it in foil is important for high heat brisket in my opinion.
Yeah, I hit the panic mod when I thought the brisket temps were getting too high too fast, next time I will keep it in the foil longer no matter what the temp probe is telling me.

Does anybody ever inject with the high heat method? Just curious.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Looks like a good job for a first time at high heat to me. Keeping it in foil is important for high heat brisket in my opinion. I'm back to low heat briskets now. I can't seem to make up my mind and stick with it for the rest of my life. I have to swtich up every couple years I guess.
Yes like bigabyte says... get rid of the foil, you don't need it. I would also consider lowering your temps a bit overall and also toward the end of the smoke.

Most of all loose the foil. Its silly at high heat temps.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Yes like bigabyte says... get rid of the foil, you don't need it. I would also consider lowering your temps a bit overall and also toward the end of the smoke.

Most of all loose the foil. Its silly at high heat temps.
Kind of torn on this one. I don't mind lowering the temps, I just don't want to end up with a 16 hour smoke on a 12 lb. packer. Gotta be a happy medium somewhere. Maybe in the 275-300 range? I might play around with lowering temps towards the end of the smoke.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
bigabyte

In my opinion, if you're gonna do a high heat brisket, stay with the high heat, I always did 350. Just keep it in the foil. If you don't foil at high heat in your average smoker, it will char the outside. Then keep it in the foil (I think it's better that way for high heat briskets).

I started doing this for saving time. I'm now back to lower and slower because I like a good bark.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #12
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks great!
Thanks for the play-by-play and the nice photos.
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #13
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Try one without the foil Saiko.
I have done them fast both ways. You don't need the foil
as far as I can tell.
Looks like it came out pretty good for your first one. Congrats!

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
Kind of torn on this one. I don't mind lowering the temps, I just don't want to end up with a 16 hour smoke on a 12 lb. packer. Gotta be a happy medium somewhere. Maybe in the 275-300 range? I might play around with lowering temps towards the end of the smoke.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #14
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

OK, now that I have chopped it up and thrown the leftovers in the freezer, I have a couple of follow up questions:
  1. When I was chopping up the point, there were many layers of fat mixed in with the meat that were impossible to remove, so I just cubed up everything. Would this have rendered out with a low and slow cook? I plan on making burnt ends with them the next time I fire up the smoker.
  2. Anybody ever try injecting with a high heat brisket? Does it make any difference?
Thanks!

Old 05-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #15
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
OK, now that I have chopped it up and thrown the leftovers in the freezer, I have a couple of follow up questions:
  1. When I was chopping up the point, there were many layers of fat mixed in with the meat that were impossible to remove, so I just cubed up everything. Would this have rendered out with a low and slow cook? I plan on making burnt ends with them the next time I fire up the smoker.
  2. Anybody ever try injecting with a high heat brisket? Does it make any difference?
Thanks!
I don't inject, so I have no thoughts on that. As for the fat, I do feel that the fat is easier to remove from the point when cooked low and slow vs when it is cooked at high heat. I prefer to trim my point meat very well before making burnt ends, and this is something I really noticed when going back and forth from low and slow to high heat.

Duh.

Tags
brisket, fast cook, high heat