MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #16
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Also for those bagging on it as a smoker...... remove the deflector, put a brisket on a riser about 5 inches above the grate, smoke at 325-375 and then tell me it can't smoke.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #17
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

I sell hasty bakes and love them I cook on them all the time It is no the best smoker but I think it is the best steak cooker going...love it as a grill and roaster. I knew when they bought a ton that they would be dumping them
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #18
AtlGator
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
Also for those bagging on it as a smoker...... remove the deflector, put a brisket on a riser about 5 inches above the grate, smoke at 325-375 and then tell me it can't smoke.
Believe me, I will try - but was going to attempt about 300, no riser grate, heat deflector on. Any reason you would skip the deflector? Higher heat, worry about warping?
AtlGator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #19
AtlGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
I sell hasty bakes and love them I cook on them all the time It is no the best smoker but I think it is the best steak cooker going...love it as a grill and roaster. I knew when they bought a ton that they would be dumping them
BP, I'm a big fan of yours. After my original UDS rusted out, I did procure one of your first run of BPS kits a year ago. Nice job on making a UDS look like a Mack Daddy unit!

I called HB with a question about something the day I set it up, and on the same dime, asked them what feedback from their retailer network has been on the C&B sale. Who knows if it's a one and done order, or if they'll order less next time to exhaust their supply before they reset their stores for fall, but that's happening now - and like you said, they didn't sell enough in time to deplete without discounting.

On another dime, they're proud of their grill cover, ain't they? $100 on sale? Sheesh!

Old 07-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #20
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

yeah its fine..the business of high end usa made stuff is really hard and you cannot ignore are a manufacturer the coverage they give you with the catalog web and purchasing power...Im love the people at Hasty Bake and am totally fine with this.
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I have the Hasty Bake Gourmet and love it! I've not tried a long smoke on it but does great on reverse seared steaks and burgers.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #22
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Hasty Bake grills are severely over priced for what one is getting.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #23
AtlGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zin View Post
Hasty Bake grills are severely over priced for what one is getting.
Certainly one person's opinion. I think it's slightly nuts to spend $2,000 on a smoker box when you can get similar or better results on a $30 drum, myself.

I made a decision to go back to charcoal for my main grill. The ability to raise/lower the firebed by 14 inches, while having a large cooking surface and lid, along with having working examples in the field that are 50 years old, at 40% off the price of entry, made it a relative bargain for me.

What I think is overpriced is a Traeger. Spent $930 all in on a Texas with cover, in six months the lid showed signs of rusting and one year in the fan cut out. No way could I say my six year old would inherit that grill, when that's a very real sentiment with the Tulsa-made Hasty Bake.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #24
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Has anyone every modified their hasty bake legacy to do low and slow in the 225 to 275 range? I don't own one (yet) but can't help but think there could be some modifications to make it more airtight.

The only thing that is detracting me from getting a hasty-bake legacy is that I hear it isn't that airtight causing higher smoking temperatures and waste of charcoal due to not being able to snuff it out.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #25
AtlGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Has anyone every modified their hasty bake legacy to do low and slow in the 225 to 275 range? I don't own one (yet) but can't help but think there could be some modifications to make it more airtight.

The only thing that is detracting me from getting a hasty-bake legacy is that I hear it isn't that airtight causing higher smoking temperatures and waste of charcoal due to not being able to snuff it out.
I would mosey over to the hastybake forums for that, or goog the fuse burn.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #26
Know Bull

You don't need to "modify" a Hasty-Bake to smoke at 225.

The firebox is adjustable on the fly. There is a crank on the side where you can raise or lower the fire while you are cooking. (So you can quick sear a steak, then lower the fire to finish the cook). For smoking, after you build the fire, you lower the firebox ALL the way onto the ashpan. The unit comes with a deflector for the top of the firebox, and you put it on. Then take a disposable aluminum half size pan, fill 1/2 to 3/4 with water, and set on top of the deflector. Adjust the intake vents to barely open, the output vent to about half open, and Voila... 225 degrees. Cook your meat directly over the firebox/deflector (right side) as the other side is noticeably hotter because the air flow pattern changes with the deflector on.

If you are cooking brisket or other meat with lots of drippings, make sure you leave the grease drain system installed. The grates are angled, with a small channel below that causes the grease to drain into a grease cup on the outside of the cooker. Despite what others say, the system works if you just keep the channel clean. The reason I mention this is that they make an optional basting pan that you can install in place of one of the two grates. But to install, you must remove the grease drain channel that causes the grease to drain out of the cooker. All grease then falls to the bottom of the cooker all around the lowered firebox, where it can catch fire. Don't ask how I know this. I do not recommend you purchase a basting pan.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #27
Know Bull

Few more tips for you to use your new cooker AtlGater:

1. Foil your ash pan before use. You can just roll up the foil and throw it away for easy clean up.
2. Foil your deflector before use. Just trust me on this.
3. Only build a fire in 1/2 to 2/3 of the firepan on any cook. Cook with hot side and cold side. Most food cooks best by starting on hot side just long enough to get grill marks, then move to cool side and shut the lid. Few minutes later, amazing food.....
4. Make sure the cooker is level. If it is not, then the grease drain may not work.
5. Scrape the grease drain channel on every cook. My grill brush has an edge on the back for this. I just scrape the gunk out of the channel over the firepan before I light the fire, and the gunk is burnt up.
6. Use lump charcoal. Briquettes are very hard on cookers. The ashes absorb moisture from the air and turn acidic, eating up the metal. If you look at old cookers that are in the HB shop for repairs, you can easily pick out the ones that burned lump versus briquettes.
7. The empty space below the ashpan is an excellent warmer/holding area. You can put food down there even while cooking additional food. It will stay warm but not so hot to cause additional cooking.
8. Lower the firepan all the way when your food is done. The mechanism will last longer if it is not supporting weight 24/7. Put a bit of white high temp grease on the threads occasionally so that it continues to operate without much resistance.

And if you really want (I never have), you can buy some self-adhesive nomex tape and seal up the cracks in the lid and the door.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #28
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGator View Post
Any reason you would skip the deflector? Higher heat, worry about warping?
The same reason I do not use a deflector in my UDS... to give the meat an extra flavor... grilled.

A weber kettle is not a great smoking machine either, unless it is in the hands of someone who took the time to understand it and modify their techniques to match the cooker.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #29
SurrealOne

That's an awesome price and a good choice. We got a place in town where that's all the guy uses...he makes everything on his menu with the dang thing. I found one on CL recently for $200, but didn't get to it in time.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:15 AM   #30
Old Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Default Hasty Bake

It is very easy to do a low and slow cook on the Hasty Bake with a fuse burn.
This setup will run about 10 hours at 225-250 degrees. Great for overnight cooking/smoking.

Couple of pork butts.

The finished product.

This fine cooker will run about any temp you want with the proper setup.

Dave
Old Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->