MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #16
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Why are you only filling the coal basket half full of coals?

Old 06-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #17
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

J'ville,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Spectator View Post
...As you can see in the pictures, I only had the basket 1/2 full. David Klose recommends between 1/2 and 3/4. I think that I will try a little more charcoal next time. Also, I may try standing the splits on end vertically and closing the dampers earlier...
I have plenty of heat, I am trying to figure out how to slow the burn.

David

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #18
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Great thread and posts. It's great to see you documenting this for others. I don't have a Klose and I always cook with splits so this may not apply to you, but in my offset I find running the exhaust wide open and adjusting the intakes give me better control and a much cleaner fire.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #19
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

I normally use splits myself. I enjoy tending the fire. When using splits, I always leave the exhaust wide open too.

However, since I bought the charcoal basket, I do want to master it. David Klose recommends intakes closed and exhaust 1/3-1/2 closed when using the basket. I think that I am waiting too long to close the dampers. Once the middle section of the basket gets lit, there is no stopping it.

David

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

wow, that is really great! I would never have thought a stick burner would get that kind of time on charcoal like that.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #21
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I don’t have a Klose – I have a Tucker Cooker and I use the fuse burn. The principle is the same IMHO.

I don’t have any pictures but when I set my fuse burn up I use Chef’s Select charcoal and I add a layer about half full all around the fuse track. Then I add cherry wood chunks about 2” square. I add the wood chunks right after the first turn and about 5 inches apart. I then fill the rest of the fuse to the top. It takes roughly 20 lbs of charcoal packed tight. I then go to the front or start of the fuse and remove 10 -15 pieces of charcoal and start them in my chimney starter. When ashed over I pour them back in the spot I took them out of.
Saturday with outside temps hitting 90 I got over 6 hours at 230 degrees. It took one hour to come to temp. At our last comp it was 10 pm and 68 degrees outside and it took 1.5 hours to get to temp and I got almost 5 hours out of it. I leave all vents open until the temp gets to 190 then I close the vents and let the Guru walk it up to 230.

I find the smaller wood chunks buried do not ignite but smolder – when I laid them on top they just burst into flame and my fire took off. When I laid sticks they did the same thing – they caught fire and messed up the controlled burn of the charcoal.

I find using the smaller chunks buried in the charcoal helps control my fire.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

This is a good thread! Making offsets run on charcoal is NOT easy and it's good that someone is experimenting and posting their results. To me information like this is well worth the cost of a subscription to the forum!

Old 06-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

GREAT POST!! I don't own a Klose, but I'm learning great stuff about managing a fire. Keep us posted and keep including the pics!!

Thanks!

Last edited by TroyA65; 06-20-2013 at 01:44 PM..
TroyA65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #24
muidaq
Full Fledged Farker

Man do y'all make me appreciate my Stumps and Auber even more.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #25
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Your point is well taken …
At the end of the day off set smokers in general are not the most efficient way to cook. Considering you are moving heat sideways when it naturally wants to rise.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #26
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Very informative and educational post!

Thanks!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #27
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

I have heard of people having success when packing the coal in tightly, ie. stacking each briquette by hand. I've never tried because I'm too lazy.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #28
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have one of those baskets for my Klose. I've gotten a few hours at around 250 or so out of it, but I hardly ever use the basket anymore. I just use splits and luckily I have other cookers I can use when I want to go a more set-and-forget route.

You do have to catch the temp on the way up. If I remember correctly I would close down the intake around 25 degrees shy of where I want to land. I can't remember how much I shut it down though - at least down to 25% open I think. I always leave the exhaust all the way open.

The only time I use the basket now is if I'm doing a short cook and need more capacity than I have on my verticals, i.e. I did about 4 trays of pig candy and didn't feel like farking with the fire - so it came in really handy for that. It'd be good for a chicken cook or a high heat rib cook as well I think. I made another basket out of expanded metal, just a dumb ole cube with no top. I have burned through that one first and then stick in the Klose basket after and had an extended cook that way - but like I said, it's been a long time since I've used charcoal in the Klose.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #29
Paulie G.
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like a success!
Klose custom 28'x7' Golf Pro Classic mobile pit.
Paulie G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #30
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by muidaq View Post
Granted that verticals have more even heat, but you can use the heat zones in an offset to your advantage as well. This is from my Father's Day cook: