MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #16
PDXsmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

2 weeks after I got chewed out by the better half for spending $100 on a orange Thermapen, I was ordering her a pink one...
PDXsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #17
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

You can also get the thermoworks RT600C its a 6 second instant that I use due to it being $25 vs $100 still a quality product from thermoworks I bought mine off amazon. I also have an ET-732 and I like the instant for true grilling (steaks & chicken ect) and to probe around large chuncks of meat to see temps throughout.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #18
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXsmoker View Post
2 weeks after I got chewed out by the better half for spending $100 on a orange Thermapen, I was ordering her a pink one...
Should of been GREEN GO DUCKS!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #19
chefdad
Knows what a fatty is.

You have to be strategic about it. It is not really a need, you don't want to sound desperate. I currently do not own a Thermapen. Not because of the wife, only because I am trying to pay off an incredibly high interest, student loan. I would give her strong reasons of why you would like one. My wife would be fine with me purchasing one. As long as I use and enjoy it. I would add, that it would help to get her steak just perfect.
chefdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
bam
is One Chatty Farker

If it's not the blue one it's not as fast or accurate. Get the thermapen so you can say you have one. BLUE
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 10:42 PM   #21
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have 2.Use them nightly.The thermapen will save more food from overcooking in 3 months than it costs.The grill is certainly not their only use.They are great for inside cooking/baking too.I have 4 et 73's.They have their place and I love em.You can check multiple places in a dish with the thermapen within seconds.The others are ONLY gonna take temps wherever the probe tip is located.Of ALL the Q gadgets I have bought,and it is a plethora,the thermapen was the best money spent,only because my Large BGE was a gift!!!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #22
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I have the 372 and love it but I would never ever be without my RED thermapen.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 PM   #23
ajmcedar
Full Fledged Farker

I love mine and have to hide from my son (he now has to check his food).
I used to do the therm probe thing, but with time and "some" practice I just use the pen as the red one reads fast enough to just pop the UDS lid for a sec so I don't get temp spikes.
"whew" long sentance...

Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #24
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmcedar View Post
I love mine and have to hide from my son (he now has to check his food).
I used to do the therm probe thing, but with time and "some" practice I just use the pen as the red one reads fast enough to just pop the UDS lid for a sec so I don't get temp spikes.
"whew" long sentance...
yep, the temp spikes in the drum is what convinced me to buy a thermapen.. in and out in 10 seconds
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #25
ALLENY
Full Fledged Farker

What about the big green egg instant read digital thermometer that they claim registers the temperature in 1 second and is less than half the price??? Any comments?
ALLENY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2011, 04:29 AM   #26
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

My 372 works great, but for a quick check on a steak, or chicken:

The thermapen can't be beat!

Just make sure to get the PURPLE unit. It's faster!
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #27
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Thermapen has made me a much better cook, but more for grilling than smoking. Steaks, chops, fish, burgers, etc., are all done perfectly now, every time.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #28
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Because it's the ONLY "Instant read" meat therm I've ever used. My wife and I use it all the time, and I checked it just a couple of months back....still accurate and right on the money.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #29
Shooter1
Full Fledged Farker

No doubt it is expensive, most quality toys are. Do you need one? Probably not, but I use this for all types of cooking not just BBQ. I take it when I know I will be BBQing at someone elses place or when I travel. Small, easily transportable, and extremely accurate. My wife actually bought mine for me as a gift so I didn't have to convince her I needed one, just dropped a lot of hints.

If you break her down and decide to get one make sure you get Orange because it is Warp speed fast!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #30
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

I have a cheaper thermoworks as well as a thermopen and all I use anymore is the thermopen. The size is great - fits perfectly in the hand. The numbers are large and easy to read. It is splash proof. It has a protective area when closed to prevent damage. It really is just great.

And if that wasn't enough...

My blazin fast yellow pen is so fast I can see into the future and tell what time my ribs will be done! Yellow is of course, the fastest color.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote