• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cooking Class Sledneck rib slicing success

Man, I was one of the judges at the table that got that rack.

That damn rib was just hanging on by a thread, but it was hanging. It felt like an eternity as the judge was holding up the bone hoping it would fall. :tsk:

Lets play which 2 ribs are stuck together
2012-09-30_12-29-12_439.jpg

They look very nice. I'd give them a 9 on appearance. keith

I guess I need to sit this one out since I saw it happen.

I ate the last one on the right. :mrgreen:

Starting from the left, #2 and #3

:-D

i don tink so. now knowing which rib joe ate.

it's still hard to believe 2 were stuck together knowing what happened to that rack right before going in the box.

i'm sorry sled, heartbreaking.

anyone know the reasoning behind changing ALL the appearance scores to ones?

i mean, the meat appears to have six portions, and the judges have already scored it. i can see if there were only five damn bones...

anyone know the reasoning behind changing ALL the appearance scores to ones?

Yeah........that's the rule for less than 6 samples of meat. Since the 2 ribs weren't cut through there were only 5 samples.

All judges
will give a one (1) in Appearance for unapproved garnish,
pooled sauce or less than 6 samples of meat.

http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/2012_Rules.pdf

thanks joe, i realize thats the rule and it may apply fairly to say 5 slices of brisket or 4 rib bones because the APPEARANCE is flawed from the start, but a box with 6 bones???

just seems overly punitive at that point.

thanks joe, i realize thats the rule and it may apply fairly to say 5 slices of brisket or 4 rib bones because the APPEARANCE is flawed from the start, but a box with 6 bones???

Yeah, after I posted it hit me that I missed the point of your question, but was too tired/lazy to change the response.

Thats what i think

Yes, it was between 1 and 2. From where I was sitting, it looked like the first judge picked up the first rib and the 2nd one came with it. He held it in the air for what felt like an eternity hoping they would separate, before putting it down on his tray.

The rule states "Each contestant must submit at least six (6) portions of
meat.
" If you only put in 6 bones and 2 of them are connected that only leaves 5 portions

Had i been judging i would of shook it :-?

"Judges may not cut, slice, or shake apart to separate pieces"

I understand judge 6 cant score it for taste and tenderness but appearance is appearance. The other 5 got to look at it and judge it.

Pork can be one mound of strands, 6 separate portion are not shown and no rule states what a portion of pork is. What if you have 5 real hungry judges and they consume the entire box before judge 6?

Back