MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:10 AM   #16
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Excellence! You know those pies were legit. Thanks for the detailed pics.
Vision Kamado PRO
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)
Hunsaker Drum & Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE" Member
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2018, 01:22 AM   #17
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Now I must have pizza, they look good

Join us for a Laugh.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Titch is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2018, 05:15 AM   #18
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChEgrad View Post
Those look great. Very close to how I cook my pizza. I cook on a steel at 550 also. I use AP flour, not 00. Need to find a local source for 00. I use a 3-day ferment in the refrigerator for the dough.

The baking steels are not inexpensive, so I was hesitant to buy one. Luckily, my brother-in-law has a friend who owns a fabrication shop. He gave his friend some ducks he shot, my wife gave her brother a white chocolate bread pudding, and I got a 3/8" thick rectangle of steel. The barter system is alive and well :-)
They are expensive if you buy the name brand version for sure. A co-worker of mine owns Grill Master Grills and builds customer grills and smokers, so he's got plenty of plate laying around and he cut me a piece of 1/4" plate for only $20. I seasoned it myself.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:45 AM   #19
bschoen
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

I too have failed to find a local source for 00 flour. I use King Arthur AP which can be found just about anywhere. I know I can get 00 online (come on, you can get [I]anything[I] online) but is there really that much difference? I do not have the technology to achieve the 900 F, 3 minute pie if that matters.

Just to offer some thing up, I started using pesto in place of marinara for sauce, less acidic and tastes good too.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2018, 06:35 AM   #20
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoen View Post
I too have failed to find a local source for 00 flour. I use King Arthur AP which can be found just about anywhere. I know I can get 00 online (come on, you can get [I]anything[I] online) but is there really that much difference? I do not have the technology to achieve the 900 F, 3 minute pie if that matters.

Just to offer some thing up, I started using pesto in place of marinara for sauce, less acidic and tastes good too.
I too cannot find 00 locally, even the Fresh Market doesn't carry it. I got this - basically they take the BIG bags of flour, break it down into smaller bags and resell the smaller bags. Totally worth it!

It is different, its much, much softer flour/dough. It's much easier to work with when shaping, it stretches (without springing back) much easier. We make pizza about every week and a half or so, so that bag of flour lasts us a while.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:39 AM   #21
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
I too cannot find 00 locally, even the Fresh Market doesn't carry it. I got this - basically they take the BIG bags of flour, break it down into smaller bags and resell the smaller bags. Totally worth it!

It is different, its much, much softer flour/dough. It's much easier to work with when shaping, it stretches (without springing back) much easier. We make pizza about every week and a half or so, so that bag of flour lasts us a while.
This^^^

There are some who will say no need to use 00 flour when not cooking at 750 plus, but for me, the feel of the 00 flour and how it performs when used on a steel is just superior to AP flour for the kind of pies I like (neo type with light airy crumbs, soft on the inside, crunchy on the rim). I have a Blackstone (not used anymore) and thats where I started using 00 flour, but if you increase HR and aim for 4-5 minute pies and use a steel at 550-600 degrees, the results can be outstanding.

If you are more into NY style with a bit more body to the crust and able to hold more toppings, then AP or bread flour (or mix of the two) would likely be better.
gtsum is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #22
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

I want to try the parchment paper method you describe. I love making pizza, but for some reason I'm always fighting with it to get the pie off the peel and onto the stone. Sticks like crazy, regardless of how much I dust the dough or peel with flour, corn meal, what have you.

I think you may have the solution.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #23
Whisky
Full Fledged Farker

You can get Caputo 00 Pizzeria in repacked bags on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Antimo-Caputo...pSrc=srch&th=1

For American/NY pies I always start out using parchment paper until the crust sets up a bit, then yank it out.

For Neo pies I use the Super Peel, which works excellent. Also available on Amazon.

https://superpeel.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWfa5dw0RNo

Last edited by Whisky; 03-14-2018 at 10:06 AM..
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #24
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaDustDevil View Post
I want to try the parchment paper method you describe. I love making pizza, but for some reason I'm always fighting with it to get the pie off the peel and onto the stone. Sticks like crazy, regardless of how much I dust the dough or peel with flour, corn meal, what have you.

I think you may have the solution.
That super peel looks pretty sweet!!

I hear the dough sticks to metal peels much more so than wooden. That's why some people have two peels, a wooden for loading, and a thin metal for retrieving.

My peel is made of a composite material (it's the same stuff used as the ramp surface at skate parks - https://www.epicureancs.com/about/ ) and the issue I have is if I build the pie on the peel (adding the sauce, toppings, etc) by the time I'm done it will sometimes stick. If I build the pie first, then I make a mess trying to get it onto the peel. And then, I end up throwing flour all over the inside of the oven. So the cheater parchment paper method works well for me haha.

And, it prevents catastrophes like this.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #25
Mason Dixon Bowhunta
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow they look amazing
Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created ~ Esther 4:14
Mason Dixon Bowhunta is offline   Reply With Quote