We have all heard grilling can....

J

jminion

be harmful but here are some ways to cut the effects and allows us to eat grilled foods we love.

Marinate before grilling. It can reduce HCA formation in meat and fish by up to 99 percent. Herbs are helpful, too. Rosemary, garlic and sage may block the formation of both HCAs and PAHs in and on the food. Add the seasonings to light marinades or as ingredients to other dishes you serve with your grilled foods. A citrus or olive oil marinade can also counteract HCA buildup.

Think small. Smaller cuts spend less time over the flame than big slabs of meat. Flip them frequently, too. Turning meat over every minute greatly reduces HCAs. Use tongs to turn foods. “Puncturing meats with a fork may cause juices to flow and drip on to the coals”.

Avoid overcooking foods. The longer you grill your meat, the more the carcinogens develop.

Partner grilled items with cancer fighters. Antioxidants and other phytonutrients in fruits (apples, grapes and berries), vegetables (broccoli, kale, cauliflower, onions) and even tea can stall or stop the chemicals' effects in the body.

There is no need to stop eating grilled food just modify our process.

Jim

Thanks for the post Jim -- very helpful since I just got my first Weber kettle few weeks ago and was wondering about that very thing.

I remember this beign discussed a while back.

I said in that thread most of the harmful stuff that comes from grilling your food is a direct result of over cooking your food. So don't burn it and you should be fine. And eat your veggies!(mom Mod)

And once again another good reason for checking into the site. This is some good information, thanks for the post.

Back