MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
PigTamer
Full Fledged Farker

Default Bbq guru 12v adapter

Does anyone know what the draw is to run a guru with fan. I want to run off of a powerpak and I'm having trouble paying as much in shipping as the adapter from the guru store. I was going to look local,but didn't want to fry anything up.
PigTamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

What Powerpack are you running?

I use a Duracell 600 and it has 3 110V outlets on it, so a 12V adapter isn't needed.

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
PigTamer
Full Fledged Farker

Just ordered that exact one off of amazon.....reviews stated that using the 12v adaptor extends the time and the cooling fan doesn't have to run. Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

The 10cfm draws .67ah when running. A cyberQ will do 15hr cooks no prob on a pair of 6v batteries. Your power pack prob wouldn't even notice it
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

You will get more runtime if you use the 12V DC plug vs the 120V AC plug.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
What Powerpack are you running?

I use a Duracell 600 and it has 3 110V outlets on it, so a 12V adapter isn't needed.

Can you post a pic of the 12V charging cord that comes with the Duracell?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

The Duracell looks like a really nice unit but it's also a bit pricey relatively speaking. I got the unit pictured below for $20 from an Advanced Auto parts store (through Slickdeals.net) I think that is a clearance price. Then went to a local electronics store and got the 12 volt plug and the jack for less than $10. Unfortunately, I don't have any "action shots" but I have used it for cooks from start to finish and it worked like a dream.

2013-10-13 08.57.16.jpg

2013-10-13 08.58.55.jpg

Old 10-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
PigTamer
Full Fledged Farker

Was the plug and jack a specific amp?

Old 10-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Nope, but keep in mind it's the load draw not the supply capability that matters and as pointed out earlier the guru and fan draw very little. I will say that the wire is a heavier gauge than what comes with the pit bull fan.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyA65 View Post
The Duracell looks like a really nice unit but it's also a bit pricey relatively speaking. I got the unit pictured below for $20 from an Advanced Auto parts store (through Slickdeals.net) I think that is a clearance price. Then went to a local electronics store and got the 12 volt plug and the jack for less than $10. Unfortunately, I don't have any "action shots" but I have used it for cooks from start to finish and it worked like a dream.

Attachment 86140

Attachment 86141
This is why I was asking for pics of the 12V charging cord on the other unit. If the end will fit in the Guru, then you can power your Guru directly from the 12V plug on your jump starter.