Wondering about Matt's BBQ Pits?

Bear's BBQ

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I saw there was a couple threads and some curiosity about Matt's pits and only a couple of owners. I was out there on Saturday to talk to him and take a look see. I am headed down Taylor, Texas to pick mine up tomorrow morning. I got a cater king. He has braces on the main chamber doors and the top shelves are a few inches short of the doors. I had him extend the shelves and also had him tack some angle iron at the top of the upright above the door and cut me some steel dowels for sausage hangers. The pit I bought is an offset. 24x60 main cooker, 24x24x36 upright. 24x24 insulated firebox. It can go reverse flow or direct flow. This should be good enough to get me started. I am opening a small take out, counter service joint and this is what I will be cooking on. This weekend I will be seasoning the pit and start a few practice runs next week. I will take pics and make updates. I can say from the time I spent looking it over last weekend and my experience on a variety of offsets, I am encouraged on how it should perform, especially at the price. I already finagled a ridiculously low cost start up and overhead, and this just adds to it.
One of the things I am going to do is experiment on these next couple weeks is how long of a stable and controlled burn I can get. At the end of the 2 weeks, I may or may not have surgery on the firebox for a guru system...I have not used a guru, so that will be another thread of questions from me if that ends being the case.

Congratulations, anxious to see pics of the new cooker.

Thank ya, sir. Looking forward to sharing my obsession on a broader scale. Seems a much more rewarding way to put in that kind of work and hours than being outside fracing for oil.

I'm with Smitty. If you plan on burning sticks, a guru isn't necessary. Trying to control the airflow in that manner will most likely cause excessive smoke and disappointing results. One thing that I learned here is that to control heat on an offset, control the size of the fire. Let it perform as it was designed.

I’m assuming you’ve checked City, County, and Health Dept Regs. on location, kitchen, holding meat AND the Pit/Smoker.? Some areas are Strict on the smoker (UL and Sanitation certified , possibly NSF certs) and some ain’t........

I don't reckon a guru would be a help. That is why I didn't have one to start with. I figure size of logs, intake opening dictates the burns. Of course, ya never know when that weird anomaly occurs, and I hate to make assumptions.
As far as authorities go...after zoning, building codes and fire marshal are done...well...when they are done. Health departments (all entities) required screened in area will be done. Not concerned about the red tape. Have dealt with that and have a mentor that owns a few restaurant/bars.

I don't reckon a guru would be a help. That is why I didn't have one to start with. I figure size of logs, intake opening dictates the burns. Of course, ya never know when that weird anomaly occurs, and I hate to make assumptions.
As far as authorities go...after zoning, building codes and fire marshal are done...well...when they are done. Health departments (all entities) required screened in area will be done. Not concerned about the red tape. Have dealt with that and have a mentor that owns a few restaurant/bars.

Cool. Would Just Suck to go buy a smoker then Find out it doesn’t pass.........
Been a few threads on here about smoker requirements in different parts of the country. Some required stainless steel grates, some required stainless cook chamber and grates ( or NSF cert nickel plated). :doh:

I hear ya. I am being compliant with Austin/travis county regs to err on side of caution. They are really bad on demands for Texas. I am setting up just outside both town and county that hasn't got as ridiculous yet. Also what's nice is so far...fire marshal has no clue what city zoning needs, who has no clue what code enforcement needs, who has no clue what health needs, who has no idea what anyone else needs. Health just needs a screen around whatever pit. as long as no food prep is done, no hot water supply for hand washing is required. Luckily I have a few friends in the business that know the local authorities and are mentoring. I am glad they are there and folks here. There are a lot of pitfalls.

I have a couple of Matts pits and am very happy with them.

Good luck on your venture.

Larry

Back