MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
nachos4life
Take a breath!

Default Help with numbers... ticketed festivals...

Hello!

We are vending at a couple local festivals soon. One is a cider/mead fest and the other a beer fest. They are ticketed events so we will basically know how many people will be there unless weather is an issue. I am trying to decide how many to expect to serve. I know it is a guess.

One is going to be approx 1500 attendees with two other food trucks (not bbq) from 2-6pm. The other approx 4000 with 4 trucks (me included and no other bbq) from 12pm-5pm.

I have seen folks recommend going with 10% of the attendees. I have also seen people say a good way to estimate is attendance divided by 2 and then divide by number of vendors.... Any other advice or better ways to calculate?

I was thinking prep for about 150-200 at the first and 300-350 for the bigger one.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I think you are are the right track with your numbers. It's always a crap shoot so good luck!
Old 08-23-2017, 06:47 AM   #3
nachos4life
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
I think you are are the right track with your numbers. It's always a crap shoot so good luck!
Thank you! you have had some helpful posts relating to this stuff on here in lots of threads, so thank you for those as well!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

I always dredded vending to drinkers. About 100% will be there for the beverages so food will be an afterthought. Also you are showing afternoon hours and dinnertime cut offs. Only good thing is you will have gone thru one before the other hits. You will learn a lot from the first to adjust for the 2nd. I agree with HBMTN that your first set of numbers sounds good but a learning experience. Best of luck!
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:52 AM   #5
nachos4life
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorolddan View Post
I always dredded vending to drinkers. About 100% will be there for the beverages so food will be an afterthought. Also you are showing afternoon hours and dinnertime cut offs. Only good thing is you will have gone thru one before the other hits. You will learn a lot from the first to adjust for the 2nd. I agree with HBMTN that your first set of numbers sounds good but a learning experience. Best of luck!
thank you! luckily we've been to these events previously and we know the organizers well. They've been able to give us good info. And yes I am very glad we have one, especially the smaller, first.

We've done big parties and events at some of the bigger local breweries involved and they have been busy and great... so we will see!
Old 09-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
nachos4life
Take a breath!

FYI - these estimates with very close and the vents were all successful! Great times and made some $$!