MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
hpdrifter
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Cooking for wine bar and cafe? In parking lot?

Hey, sorry if this is wrong sub-forum, might be better in the catering section...

Anyway,

Well I have been waiting tables at a wine bar here in Vegas for over 7 years now, and recently started bringing in my barbecue leftovers (spares mainly) to work to share with my buddies. This is a fairly small, owner-operated joint located in a strip mall type of setting. LOTS of regulars and repeat customers. The owner and I are good pals, as he is the main chef and I stare at his mug through the window several times a week. Everyone, including him, raves about my ribs and they all dive in when I bring food in. He keeps asking me to start doing barbecue there. I have to admit, pulling in a big offset and setting up right in front of the door a couple days a week with some good bourbon and cold beer would sure be a nice change of pace. I know he supports the idea, and the landlord wouldn't mind either. What do you all think? Seems like a Health Department nightmare. Pricing seems sketchy too. How would he and I both make money? It would be cool to give the place an additional market, something different to offer. The regulars would dig it I am sure.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks pals!

Greg
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
Seems like a Health Department nightmare.
That should have been your first contact.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Try using his kitchen as your commissary. You won't be able to cook out front and sell product without meeting HD guidelines.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I wouldn't wait another second debate if it were a good idea or not get in there! Find out if his insurance covers you and if not then get your own. Also get straight with food hygiene people and see what the city council has to say as far as rules regarding live fire in that environment.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
hpdrifter
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Well, going into the Health Department to see what the deal is. Will be able to store meat at the restaurant, and use their restrooms and whatnot. Will post back when I get info from HD. Sure would be nice to be able to just pull up with dad's old motorhome and a Lang 84, don't want to invest in a full-on trailer right now, with all of the commercial fridges and sinks. Hell, just exploring the market you know? Part-time gig for fun.

Greg
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote