MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

You can use that much charcoal, because when you close off all the vents after cooking it should put the coals out and they can be used again on the next cook.

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #17
USMC
is one Smokin' Farker

If your WSM is new and leaking a lot of smoke (you will notice all the leaking spots from smoke around the lid and door at start up) due to the WSM being new and not seasoned/gunked up yet, try closing the top vent half way. The leaks from lack of gunk is allowing the pit to exhaust to much, leading to an uneven intake to exhaust ratio making the ATC less efficient.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #18
pcshrews
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
Think of your temp controller as being a replacement for you adjusting the dampers on your WSM. Do everything the same, just let the fan control the airflow.

I have a PartyQ and I hook it up after I get the pit up to temp.

Dave, do you have any issues with your partyq on your wsm? 22in? I have the same setup and was trying to decide on which controller was best. I assume a 10 com fan is all you need as well. Thoughts?

Thks!!!

KCBS CBJ
BBQ Dreamz Comp Team
Custom Humphrey's Pint
Cyber Q & PartyQ Guru Controllers
[FONT=Arial]Weber Kettle 26 & 22, WSM 22[/FONT]
Past: New Braunfels Offset, Brinkmann Bullet POS
pcshrews is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #19
pcshrews
Full Fledged Farker

FYI. Com=cfm in fat finger world.

KCBS CBJ
BBQ Dreamz Comp Team
Custom Humphrey's Pint

Old 08-12-2014, 12:20 AM   #20
Collector-X
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Controlling the WSM is actually pretty easy.

1. - See if you can find the "charcoal bowl" from a crappy brinkman smoker. It's a 2gal bowl and it fits perfectly. I wrap mine with aluminum foil and fill with water 3/4 full.

2. - Never close up the top exhaust vent. Always leave it full open. The number one problem that causes creosoting is partially closed exhaust vents. I drop a thermometer into one of the holes so I can get the dome temp.

3. - Close 1 intake vent and set the other 2 vents at 50%.

4. - I add one medium piece of wood that fits the ring or several chunks of wood on the bottom. Fill a chimney starter with charcoal then pour the rest into the ring over the wood. Make a little depression in the middle for the charcoal from the chimney starter.

5. - Pour lit charcoal into the ring, add the middle section of WSM. Pour water into the bowl to fill it up with out spilling any. Add bottom rack and meat, add top rack & meat, put the top on. My temp rises to 230 and locks in and will stay that way for the next 12-18 hours.
KCBS CBJ #6527 - 18.5" WSM Bullet, Big Tex, 27" Green Weber Kettle circa 1965.
Collector-X is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 AM   #21
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

I have the WSM 22.5 and I have added gaskets and the CB Stainless steel door. At the end of any cook, I can close all the vents and my coals are out in an hour or so. When I am ready to cook next time, I do the following:

- Break WSM into three sections.
- Pull the grates and my drip pan (cheap aluminum turkey roaster pan in water pan with clay pot base).
- Clean off grates and drip pan. Refoil water pan and clay pot base if needed.
- Shake my modded "fire basket" to get any loose ash off the remaining coals and clean out the ashes from last cook.
- Replace the fire basket, push the old coals to the outside if not using IQ120, or to the side away from the IQ120 if I am using it.
- Fill up the rest of the basket with new coal.
- Use flame thrower to light the new coals (center or in front of IQ120 vent as needed)

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #22
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcshrews View Post
Dave, do you have any issues with your partyq on your wsm? 22in? I have the same setup and was trying to decide on which controller was best. I assume a 10 com fan is all you need as well. Thoughts?

Thks!!!
Nope, never had a problem with it. I use Energizer rechargeable batteries--I just put in a freshly charged set before each use.

My process is:
- Run all dampers wide open, PartyQ not hooked up until I get close to temp.

- Close the dampers down and hook up the PartyQ. Set the setpoint I want to maintain.

- Come back in about 30 minutes and see how the PartyQ is running. This step is important--your Maverick might say you're holding temp, but you need to know if the PartyQ is running full time (crack another damper open) or not at all (maybe add some water, set up a wind block, etc).

You occasionally need to use another damper to let in a little more air--the bitty fan on a PartyQ isn't necessarily enough to keep temps in adverse conditions, like if it's really cold or really windy (or both). But it is enough with a little help. I tend to need another damper cracked, but I also cook hot & fast so holding 300 is a lot to ask of that bitty fan.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #23
USMC
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector-X View Post

2. - Never close up the top exhaust vent. Always leave it full open. The number one problem that causes creosoting is partially closed exhaust vents. I drop a thermometer into one of the holes so I can get the dome temp.
A partially closed top vent can cause creosoting, but if you notice I said try that if there are a lot of leaks. In simpler terms, if the whole top end of your WSM is acting like one big exhaust, try partially closing the top vent. It works. I had to clean my WSM and it was like it was new, back to all the leaks from not being gunked up again yet. Got the advice to partially close it from TVWB and it worked like a charm. Not a bit of creosote taste at all. It's all good and gunked up again now and I no longer have that problem. I tested it. It works. No creosote problem at all.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #24
pcshrews
Full Fledged Farker

Thks Dave! Very helpful post on the party Q!

KCBS CBJ
BBQ Dreamz Comp Team
Custom Humphrey's Pint