Mongo's Jerk Schwimps with Caribbean Quinoa...

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
We have a "Caribbean Food" Throwndown going on over in the TD section...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158417

Please join us for more fun that you can have without stapling your head to the carpet... Here's my shot for the coveted Goose Egg:

"After seeing all the most excellent entries in this TD, I give you my latest bid for yet another zero. Without further ado, I submit for your disapproval "Mongo's Jerk Schwimps with Fruity Caribbean Salsa Quinoa... :mrgreen:

First off, the ingredients for Mongo's jerk seasoning... Sugar, salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, allspice, red pepper flakes and thyme. Not sure if this is Caribbean, Indian, Mexican, Thai or just basic Mongonese dumbarse... :confused:
edit_preview.php

Next up, the schwimps...
edit_preview.php

Add a little jerk seasoning...
edit_preview.php

While the schwimps are absorbing the seasoning, I cut up the components for the "fruity quinoa" salsa. Here we have strawberries, green grapes, fresh pineapple and mandarin orange slices. You may be asking are these really Caribbean fruits, but keep in mind the cook has been shown to be confused with basic geography. :tsk:
edit_preview.php

While the mystery fruit is resting peacefully in the fridge, I throw the jerk seasoned schwimps on the Performer for about four minutes per side indirect over KB, and another minute per side direct for a quick sear. :thumb:
edit_preview.php

When it's all said and done, the schwimps and fruit salsa are plated over quinoa with an orange/lemon juice + EVOO dressing, topped with thinly sliced green onions and chopped spinach (I would have used cilantro but I HATE cilantro :puke:).
edit_preview.php

Please the pic below for the money shot...
edit_preview.php

I must say I was pretty hesitant about making this meal, but both my wife and daughter LOVED it... I do have to admit it was light and refreshing and will definitely make it back in the rotation soon. :mrgreen:"

It looks great and we love quinoa. However, the difference between great quinoa and well not very good quinoa is about 2 minutes of cooking. I really don't like overcooked quinoa..... Nice plate of food!

It looks great and we love quinoa. However, the difference between great quinoa and well not very good quinoa is about 2 minutes of cooking. I really don't like overcooked quinoa..... Nice plate of food!

Thanks Marty... Totally agree on overcooked quinoa. :yuck:

We have it down right with as much as we eat these days thanks to my daughter. :thumb:

A feast for the eyes for sure......looks great!

I guess I'm not cooking the Quinoa correctly then, I've tried it a couple times and wasn't impressed, may have to give it another shot or two.

KC

Perhaps the first TD entry with quinoa? You made something pretty healthy look really good Mongo! :clap:

I sure wish you would have posted this first. I could have just enjoyed my chicken without having to post so many pictures.

Back