MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
country bear
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Beer Anyone?

Hello all!

I'm new here and was looking around for something on beer in the forums, but didn't see anything. Don't know if this is the right place for this, and if not, sorry.

I happen to be a pretty big fan of beer and have tried brews from all over the world, some for better, and some for worse. I even have a folder containing all sorts of tasting notes from over the years, but gave up on that when I figured out it was robbing me of the simple enjoyment of it. Since no BBQ session seems quite complete without it, I just wanted to start a thread discussing various beers and food pairings that you all have found to work well.

Looking for something new to pair up with that sweet boston butt? Perhaps something to go with that smoked gouda? Maybe you'll find it here.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:30 AM   #2
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Inject your butt with Corona!

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 01:53 AM   #3
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

I use this in my water bath... and for drinking in bulk!

Old 12-24-2009, 06:09 AM   #4
Wampus

I, too, consider myself to have somewhat of a experienced pallet when it comes to beer. My wife just says I'm a beer SNOB, since I'd rather drink water than one of my brother's Miller Lites.

I, personally, prefer a darker brew. I think the lightest beer I do enjoy is Corona, but only with a wedge of lime. I like Fat Tire as well.

Some of my personal favorites are:
Shiner
Shiner Black
Samuel Adams Boston Lager
Smithwicks
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

I have not, however, thought much about the whole "pairing" thing with different foods. I'm quite sure that it makes a difference, as I do know that a frosty mug of Sam Adams tastes even better depending on what I'm eating with it. BUT.....I just pretty much like drinking beer.

I'll be following this thread....! Thanks for posting!

Old 12-24-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
Brauma

There are two good beer threads in Woodpile: one called "Good Beer", and another called "Beer reviews". We also have a homebrew forum.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Beer? What's that?

Old 12-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
maadjurguer
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Some of my personal favorites are:
Shiner
Shiner Black
Samuel Adams Boston Lager
Smithwicks
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Do you like anything that does NOT start with the letter S?

As for me, I've always been a favorite of the hoppier beers out there. Just about anything from Stone Brewery is a hit with me. I'm also a fan of European lagers with Stella Artois a standard at most bars these days. Stella goes great with just about any BBQ out there....but so does Arrogant Bastard for that matter.

As for injecting or using the beer in food....I've always kept a few unfiltered wheat beers on hand for the purpose. They make great additives for beer-batter, dough...and the flavor is neutral enough not to be wierd in injecting anything like a Turkey breast or soaking a few sausages. YMMV

Old 12-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I really like Beer my friends bring over and am very fond of this............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg August 2009 050.jpg (62.0 KB, 203 views)
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Mustang Sally
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm a fan of the hoppier beers myself. But, being from MN I also try to support the local economy. Schells (a 150 yr old brewery in New Ulm) makes some good beer...Firebrick is my favorite. The also own the rights to Grain Belt - an old MN with a lot of nostalgia. I do draw the line at Hamm's though!

Old 12-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
thedirtman
Full Fledged Farker

Me love some beer. I prefer a Hoppy beer like Sierra Nevada and Dog Fish IPA.
thedirtman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #11
Mikel35
Got Wood.

"Mmmmmm....BEEEEERRRR!!!!!" (Homer Simpson Mod)
I am a huge fan of the Shiner Brewery great line of beers, Shiner Black being the best. Leinenkuegel has good stuff too. Fat Tire is awesome!!!! Guess I am a beer snob. Also a cardholdeing member of "The Flying Saucer Draught Emporium Beer Club" Houston location. That place is a beer drinkers heaven, and got great pub food too!!!!! The darker the beer the better....best one yet a double chocolate stout!!!!! If any of you beer lovers can get your hands on any of the Abita beers (Abita Amber, Abita Purple Haze, Abita AndyGator, Abita Restoration Ale, there are more) from Abita, LA they are awesome....the brewery uses water straight from a natural spring!!!!!

Last edited by Mikel35; 12-24-2009 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: Cuz I forgot about the Abita Beers!!!!
Mikel35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Texhead
Found some matches.

Shiner is always in my beer fridge. For this time of year Shiner Holiday is pretty interesting. Also like St Arnold Brown and Winter. Just picked up a six pack of Full Moon which I am enjoying as well.
Texhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
Texhead
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel35 View Post
"Mmmmmm....BEEEEERRRR!!!!!" (Homer Simpson Mod)
If any of you beer lovers can get your hands on any of the Abita beers (Abita Amber, Abita Purple Haze, Abita AndyGator, Abita Restoration Ale, there are more) from Abita, LA they are awesome....the brewery uses water straight from a natural spring!!!!!
Love Abita Amber. Can sometimes find Purple Haze. Heck I like their root beer.
Texhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
LouCfur
Knows what a fatty is.

Natural Light - it only tastes expensive!

Old 12-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #15
Mikel35
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texhead View Post
Shiner is always in my beer fridge. For this time of year Shiner Holiday is pretty interesting. Also like St Arnold Brown and Winter. Just picked up a six pack of Full Moon which I am enjoying as well.
Never had the Shiner Holiday??? Take a thick slice of an orange and float it on top the Full Moon in a glass. That and a good thick steak together work well!!!!!

I need to make a religious pilgrimage to Shiner, TX SOON!!!!

Tags
BEER, food pairing