MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #166
dietmar239
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
If you use it as a mop I would add some peanut oil to it.
Thanks. I was thinking about add some oil. Wasn't sure which one I'd use. Good suggestion.
dietmar239 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #167
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Peanut oil would work but it will impart a nutty flavor. Bacon grease would be a good choice too or even soybean oil.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #168
jemezspring
is one Smokin' Farker

Just want to chime in again about how good this stuff is. As I write this I just looked to my right and there is a bottle of this "crack" attack sauce on my desk. It really is so tasty that I sometimes have a sip from the bottle cap. Yeah sick, I know.
If you like vinegar based sauces you will love this. It really works well on just about everything I have tried it on including pizza, fried fish and chicken and mixed with other bbq sauces to wake up the flavors.

If this is your first time do it just as Bo said. I have made this liquid crack many, many, many times and never do it exactly the same way each time but it comes out bottle sippin' good each time.

Here's what I used just this morning.

1-1/2 Cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup Sriracha
1/4 cup water
2 TBS horseradish Mustard- Or use what mustard you got
1 TBS coarse black pepper.
1 TBS smoked Paprika or regular
1/2 TBS fine sea salt or what ever you got
*1/2 TBS caribbean red pepper flakes. From last years garden
* This is not a part of original recipe I just need to use up some pepper flakes.
This was just todays version. Use a little more or less of anything to suit your personal tastes.

Mix together and if you can wait let mellow for a couple of days. Should not need refrigeration because of all the vinegar. Am I right about that?

Excellent sauce. Thank you Bo for sharing. So simple yet so good.
jemezspring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #169
wct
Knows what a fatty is.

I lost count of how many batches of this I have made. I too sip right of the bottle it is so good. A couple of months ago, I had a half bottle of "Jack Daniels Hickory BBQ Sauce" in the fridge and a bottle of shack attack on the counter and thought, hmmm, so I mixed it half and half with the Jack Daniels sauce and mopped it on my spare ribs I was BBQ'ing and man o man it was good. That's all I use on my ribs now.

Thanks again Bo for sharing this with all of us.
Rec-Tec#1165, Traeger 075 Texan (1990's model), Weber Genesis E-330, Bradley digital 6 Shelf Smoker[/SIZE]
wct is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #170
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

Is there a consensus as to the best hot sauce to use? Would water and spices be better? I made it once with Frank's and thought it had the potential to be a lot better with a different hot sauce. Looked like Bo used Texas Pete's?

Old 01-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #171
Bludawg

I use Chrystal I tried El Tapatio and I thought it was better with the Chrystal, Texas Pete or Trappys would be two good choices as well as Louisiana Hot.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #172
16Adams

I'm gonna put the basic recipe in my Vitamix and throw in one or two Hatch green chilies. I'm going to inject a chicken, mop a chicken and spare ribs, use the last third as a drizzle. For the basic mix I used Boars Head hot sauce..

Last edited by 16Adams; 01-19-2013 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: spell check
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #173
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Here is a delicious version of an old VA BBQ sauce inspired by a VA BBQ man named Shack. I drink this stuff straight, that's how good it is. It has no sugar in it, so sweet sauce fans may want to stay away.

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. I blend it in my Ninja, that's why it's about 16 ounces total.

Whipped up a batch last night. Cut it in half as it was a trial run to see if I liked the new hot sauce flavor. I bought 4 different hot sauces to taste last night. Went with this.

3/4 cup Heinz apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup filtered water
1 TBS Melinda's Scotch Bonnet fiery hot pepper sauce
1/2 TBS Hungarian half sharp Paprika
1/2 TBS fresh ground 25/75 white and black pepper
1 teaspoon diamond crystal kosher salt
1 teaspoon Simply Marvelous season all
1 heaping TBS spicy brown mustard (Gulden's)
1 teaspoon of my 5 Pepper Rub.

1/2 of the 1/4 cup of hot sauce is 2 TBS. I used 1 TBS of the hot sauce as it has a good kick and then 1 teaspoon of 5 Pepper Rub with the 1/4 water as substitute for the 2nd. I can still see most would want to cut this with more water possibly a teaspoon of sugar as it has a lovely kick and depth to it's heat.

Without allowing it to mellow for 48 hrs I already like it more than the Franks batch I made previously. Not sure how it tastes compared to Texas Pete's but it's not as Tabasco tasting as the Franks was.

I'm going to use 1/4 cup of Shack Attack and some olive oil as a mop on 1 rack of ribs to try it. Thanks Bo!

Old 01-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #174
Ijustwantedtolookatpics
On the road to being a farker

Said it before, this stuff rocksImageUploadedByTapatalk1358716328.517993.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358716344.659096.jpg
Weber gasser
Kinda-fast Grey Thermapen
Ijustwantedtolookatpics is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #175
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durzil View Post
Whipped up a batch last night. Cut it in half as it was a trial run to see if I liked the new hot sauce flavor. I bought 4 different hot sauces to taste last night. Went with this.

3/4 cup Heinz apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup filtered water
1 TBS Melinda's Scotch Bonnet fiery hot pepper sauce
1/2 TBS Hungarian half sharp Paprika
1/2 TBS fresh ground 25/75 white and black pepper
1 teaspoon diamond crystal kosher salt
1 teaspoon Simply Marvelous season all
1 heaping TBS spicy brown mustard (Gulden's)
1 teaspoon of my 5 Pepper Rub.

1/2 of the 1/4 cup of hot sauce is 2 TBS. I used 1 TBS of the hot sauce as it has a good kick and then 1 teaspoon of 5 Pepper Rub with the 1/4 water as substitute for the 2nd. I can still see most would want to cut this with more water possibly a teaspoon of sugar as it has a lovely kick and depth to it's heat.

Without allowing it to mellow for 48 hrs I already like it more than the Franks batch I made previously. Not sure how it tastes compared to Texas Pete's but it's not as Tabasco tasting as the Franks was.

I'm going to use 1/4 cup of Shack Attack and some olive oil as a mop on 1 rack of ribs to try it. Thanks Bo!

Sounds like a tasty twist!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #176
16Adams

Seasoned a rack of ribs and a chicken with Arthur Bryant's rub. Injected the chicken with Tony Catcheres. Smoked in the WSM. Pulled the chicken and drizzled the Shack Attack. Finished the last 45 minutes of the ribs with SA and added more on the plate. SA sauce is amazing. Used Boars Head hot sauce. Complimented and did not overwhelm. Glad I found this recipe.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #177
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

This stuff is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

I made a batch last night. My hot sauce of choice was Louisiana Supreme's - Habanero pepper sauce. Had some on a couple of smoked chicken thighs today. Man it was good!

I like the fact that its an old recipe. I love trying recipes from way back.

And yes, I've been guilty of passing by the fridge and gettin' a sip. Matter of fact, I hear it calling me now!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #178
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Oh yeah.... Your New Brunswick Stew recipe is really good! I've made it quite a few times. Thanks for that one too!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #179
16Adams

Just put two tablespoons into a bowl of Chili. Dad-gum this stuff is good. Last night deizzled a hot spinach salad. 2nd batch coming up.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #180
FattyMac
Full Fledged Farker

This good stuff.

I made some up on the weekend and after it was first made by itself I didn't think much of it. The next day I was making some brisket nachos and just dunked a cold slice in the sauce. Dayum it was good even cold. Made beef ribs for dinner, which I don't usually sauce and it took them to a whole other level.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!