MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
When I light up the UDS I leave the top off and all the intakes wide open until my thermo reads 250 before I put the lid on about 20 min and I'm at 300 Pushing sweet blue within 30 min ready to cook. Is it a humid day it may be steam?
The humidity is only 40% today. Maybe I should let the lid off for awhile?

Old 09-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #17
BroBBQButcher
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
When I light up the UDS I leave the top off and all the intakes wide open until my thermo reads 250 before I put the lid on about 20 min and I'm at 300 Pushing sweet blue within 30 min ready to cook. Is it a humid day it may be steam?
Bludawg
when you light your UDS up do you weed burn it or chimney? if weed burn do you put the wood in after you get it going or all at the same time?
BroBBQButcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Get rid of the can. Dump the hot on the not when the snap & pop die down a little lid the thing up let it settle down and slowly drop the intakes back as long as you have a clean burn you should be able to dial up or down.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggysmalls View Post
Like the poster above me stated, it sounds like you're letting your fire get too close to your target temperature before regulating air flow. By doing this, you're squelching the oxygen flow to your fire, thus producing a lot of white smoke.

I used to smoke on a Kamado style grill. Yes, it's different from a WSM, but the minion method worked like a champ for me. I know a lot of other WSM owners who swear by that method, too. Simply put, you start a small fire in a different pit or chimney starter, move that small fire to the center of a huge coal and wood bed in your pit, then let the small fire slowly go to work, igniting the huge coal bed a little bit at a time. For more details, google "minion method."
I use the Minion method. It starts billowing almost immediately. That is with the vents wide open.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroBBQButcher View Post
Bludawg
when you light your UDS up do you weed burn it or chimney? if weed burn do you put the wood in after you get it going or all at the same time?
Because I'm so good Both I use the weed burner to light a chimney. I pack the basket with lump and 4-5 man fist sized chunks of Flavor Nuggets( wood Chunks Yo) and dump a 1/2 Chimney (about 20) of briquettes on top.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Well, finally got the thing blowing blue (invisible would be more accurate.) Only took 3 hours but it's finally settled in and running at 287*. I just want thank everyone who chimed in. I just hope I don't run into this problem again. Guess I have to start her up 3 hours before I put the meat on and plan accordingly. Thanks again.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #22
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I agree with not using the coffee can and dumping the hot coals on a full basket of unlit. I can't say that's what is causing the extra smoke, but have experience doing minion method with uds, and other cookers. Dropping coals on top of a full pile will get you a better overall burn.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #23
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Be careful and don't confuse steam with white smoke.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #24
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Never had that trouble w/ the 18.5 WSM. Yours must be broken. I'll gladly swap, no charge.

Meet me ~Newburgh, NY.

Have you tried different fuel? 3 hours is way too long.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #25
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrederhead View Post
Never had that trouble w/ the 18.5 WSM. Yours must be broken. I'll gladly swap, no charge.

Meet me ~Newburgh, NY.

Have you tried different fuel? 3 hours is way too long.
I'll pass on the swap. I've have always used RO lump. I think next time I'll try ditching the coffee can. I did that once before and couldn't get the temps past 225*. That was with all the vents wide open.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #26
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

You're using RO lump, same as me. Lately I have been getting several chunks per bag that have not been totally carbonized and throw out white smoke. If you can find the offending piece then pull and toss or just wait it out.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #27
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdad1 View Post
You're using RO lump, same as me. Lately I have been getting several chunks per bag that have not been totally carbonized and throw out white smoke. If you can find the offending piece then pull and toss or just wait it out.
You know what? You may be on to something. I've had a couple of pieces that were basically just chunks of semi-burned logs. I figured I'd throw them in there and they would give me a little extra smoke flavor. They could have been the culprit all along.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #28
funugy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasket View Post
You know what? You may be on to something. I've had a couple of pieces that were basically just chunks of semi-burned logs. I figured I'd throw them in there and they would give me a little extra smoke flavor. They could have been the culprit all along.

Interesting. I have not thought of this since I always use KB (it's cheap and consistent).

I generally get TBS within an hour of lighting my chimney, which sits for about 15 min or so before I pour the coals onto the basket. Like I said, generally. There have been times when it has taken much longer to get there, and it seems to happen when I am in a time crunch. I don't see anything wrong with lighting the smoker up to 2 hours before I am ready to put my meat on. I've done it a few times now just so I don't feel like I am rushing to get things done, and the extra hour or so of burn time doesn't waste much coal.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #29
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasket View Post

All lump needs to be inspected during the re-fueling process...You will be surprised by the amount of garbage and wood that is not totally carbonized...Don't just dump the lump...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #30
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

I really don't understand your problem. if you are doing some type of minion method and you are using dry " smoke wood" and lump or for that matter even kingsford the small amount of smoke should not matter. You do need to have a full chimney of white hot coals when they are dumped on top of the unlit and smoke wood. Yes there will be a little smoke but if your top vent is wide open as are your bottom vents it will be alright. Are you sure your charcoal and wood is dry and cured?
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote