MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #1
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default The Official Worksharp Ken Onion Appreciation Thread

.... Coming soon....
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

I sharpened the below cheap chef's knife over a year ago and it's still going strong.

Oh and if you didn't jump on the $86 deal from Amazon you farked up. Just sayin'!

(KO run last year)

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #3
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Oh and I was in the expensive knife set boat until I discovered KO. German steel and this sharpener is all you need. The rest is fluff.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
Bbq_lover
Full Fledged Farker

Btw, Amazon is having a sale on the ken onion worksharp sharpener today. 85 something I believe.
Bbq_lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
16Adams

I was in before first post.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Been watching Doug's youtubes. Awesome. Can't wait!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
16Adams

I was filling my Christmas Stocking. It was a toss up between the KO and 3@20 175 gr.Winchester Silver Tips in 10MM. Went with KO

Old 12-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
I was filling my Christmas Stocking. It was a toss up between the KO and 3@20 175 gr.Winchester Silver Tips in 10MM. Went with KO

For that price, ammo can wait. Not like we're going to run out anyway.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #9
thirdeye

I've been a manual sharpener guy for years and have an Edge Pro commercial kit, which can put a scary sharp edge from 6° to 35° and polish it down with a 3,000 grit. The upside to this system is accurate angles, the downside to this system is set-up and time so I use it on special knives or leave it out a few days to sharpen a lot of knives. If you do not abuse knives a manual system is easy to maintain a perfect edge, but manual is not for everyone.

On the other end of the spectrum I'm testing a Havalon Baracuta which has replaceable surgical style blades and I have both hunter and fillet style blades. This is a great field knife and good for close up prep work in the kitchen.

I've test driven the original Work Sharp which is a nice system but the Ken Onion version has a variable speed heavy duty motor and a slightly different guide system.... plus it can sharpen tools. The downside is that it's electric and has a slight learning curve if you are used to a manual sharpener. The current Amazon deal is too good to pass up and it will allow me to sharpen my kitchen work knives and knives for friends (which are always abused) much faster and to an above average edge. I'll be sure and post a review in a month or so.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #10
16Adams

Great minds. Excellent for Cockpit Poppers

Last edited by 16Adams; 01-01-2019 at 07:34 AM..

Old 12-03-2018, 12:53 AM   #11
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

I already got my notification that it has shipped from Amazon. Due Tuesday, but they always say that and then I end up getting it the next day almost every time as long as it wasn't shipping from a 3rd party. Tuesday probably works better anyways since I have stuff to do Monday and I will need to play if it shows up. Now to avoid any finger injuries.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:13 AM   #12
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

I bought the original Work Sharp, then went to look something up and saw the KO edition was coming out a month later. Sharpened all my knives with that one, and took it back to Bass Pro. One month later when they had the KO in stock, I went back and bought it from them. Eased the pain of being "that guy" to buy something, use it, and return it.

I love my WS. I can sharpen all of our kitchen and my couple of utility knives, fifteen at last count, in about 30 minutes.

Disclaimer: I would not use it on a fancy, decorative, or expensive knife. Maybe I don't pull back right, but I have rub marks on the upper part of the blades where they rub against the guide as I draw them through. I've talked to WS about it. Thought they should cover the guides with some felt, but they said this would change the blade angle. They suggested putting painters tape on the blade. I asked, wouldn't that change the angle of the blade too? She laughed and said umm, yes. I let it go. I don't have any fancy knives, so I'm not really worried about it.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2018, 06:55 AM   #13
16Adams

I delayed the shipping until the 11th. Trying to talk the wife into a no itenarary no reservations road trip. Can’t believe she’s balking at a personal 70’s themed concert featuring me, stopping at every historical marker and maybe eating some roadside bbq.

Cheap motels illuminated by neon lights are calling

Old 12-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #14
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

How does the Ken Onion differ from the regular $69.95 one ? https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WS...nife+sharpener
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #15
Whisky
is one Smokin' Farker

I hope it's the cats ass. Cuz I ordered one yesterday thanks to you guys.

I got Havalon's stashed all over the house. They are awesome in the kitchen... Not too mention I broke down 1 elk and 3 deer so far this year with one.
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote