MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
Dr. Weld
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Dr. Weld
Default Little guidance for this Pitmaster apprentice.

Good day, Good day, Good day,

Hello fellow Q members, hope all is well.

I have a couple questions, and I’m sure they have been asked a few times, but I’m lazy( At this very point in time) and just got done with writing a few research papers, as well as ,grading a few and I’m asking for some guidance. Lol

I’m looking to smoke my first brisket on my new Grilla Smoker. I’ve never smoked a brisket so I have a few questions about the process.

First, I believe I’m going to order the Ultimate Pitmaster package from Creekstone, unless others think it’s not worth it. Thoughts?

Once I get the brisket, is it advisable, to separate the point from the flat completely? Reason I ask, is because I want burnt ends and I thought I read that the two sections cook differently and one should separate the sections. Thoughts?

Should I inject the brisket,even if it’s a prime grade? I bought the Oakridge BBQ backyard sample pack and it has an injection. I figured I would use black ops rub for the brisket. Should I add mustard or an oil as a binder for the rub, or just toss it on there and let roll? Again, thoughts.

What other prep should I do to the brisket? Leave it set overnight with the rub and injection, sing it a bedtime story, pray to the brisket gods or goddesses, etc, etc? Lol

Once the brisket is all trimmed, rubbed and ready, I will put it on the smoker. Now, to wrap or not, is the question. Is that a preference of said pitmaster, or do you all think it’s a must? Since I’m using a pellet smoker, do I have to have water in my smoker as it smokes?

What other advice can you all give me? I don’t want to dry this piece or pieces of meat out nor ruin it, so I am a little apprehensive, hence all the questions.

I do thank you all for your time and effort in helping me out with is.

P.S. After the brisket, I will back to ask about the pork butt. The Queen wants pulled pork. I just made her 14 lbs of burnt ends, hopefully they last a couple days..
Dr. Weld is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Most of the questions you ask will generate a variety of opinions....here are mine...

1. dont start with a creekstone brisket. Start with one from costco, sams, walmart or some other local chain. most people that use creekstone or SRF or other premier suppliers are trying to win competitions, not feed their family.

2. do not separate the point from the flat. cook until the flat is probe tender, then when you pull it off....separate the point then...the fat between the two layers will be rendered and it will be easy to get a knife to follow it. Then wrap the flat in foil or butcher paper and put it in a cooler with towels...let it sit for at least an hour. While you are letting that rest, then cube the point, sauce and season, then back on the smoker.

3. In my experience, you do not need to inject a brisket. Use the Black Ops on the outside and let it roll. Once you have done a few, then mess with various flavors and injections.

4. Wrap or dont wrap depends on preference and time. I have done both. Both turn out fine. Wrapping takes less time.

5. There will be people who say to cook low and slow (225 degrees) This will take you about 1.5 hours per lb of the brisket. I prefer hot and fast (275-300 degrees). This will take much less time. If you cook at 300, and wrap when the brisket gets to 160ish you can cook a full brisket in 7-8 hours.

Also, do a search for BluDawg KISS method. Good way to start if you are looking for a foolproof method.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=238367

Old 07-16-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Weld View Post
Good day, Good day, Good day,

Hello fellow Q members, hope all is well.

I have a couple questions, and I’m sure they have been asked a few times, but I’m lazy( At this very point in time) and just got done with writing a few research papers, as well as ,grading a few and I’m asking for some guidance. Lol

I’m looking to smoke my first brisket on my new Grilla Smoker. I’ve never smoked a brisket so I have a few questions about the process.

First, I believe I’m going to order the Ultimate Pitmaster package from Creekstone, unless others think it’s not worth it. Thoughts?

Once I get the brisket, is it advisable, to separate the point from the flat completely? Reason I ask, is because I want burnt ends and I thought I read that the two sections cook differently and one should separate the sections. Thoughts?

Should I inject the brisket,even if it’s a prime grade? I bought the Oakridge BBQ backyard sample pack and it has an injection. I figured I would use black ops rub for the brisket. Should I add mustard or an oil as a binder for the rub, or just toss it on there and let roll? Again, thoughts.

What other prep should I do to the brisket? Leave it set overnight with the rub and injection, sing it a bedtime story, pray to the brisket gods or goddesses, etc, etc? Lol

Once the brisket is all trimmed, rubbed and ready, I will put it on the smoker. Now, to wrap or not, is the question. Is that a preference of said pitmaster, or do you all think it’s a must? Since I’m using a pellet smoker, do I have to have water in my smoker as it smokes?

What other advice can you all give me? I don’t want to dry this piece or pieces of meat out nor ruin it, so I am a little apprehensive, hence all the questions.

I do thank you all for your time and effort in helping me out with is.

P.S. After the brisket, I will back to ask about the pork butt. The Queen wants pulled pork. I just made her 14 lbs of burnt ends, hopefully they last a couple days..

My opinion....

1. I would start with a grocery store prime brisket. Creekstone is nice but you are probably going to ruin your first few brisket. If you live in a neck of the woods where the local stores dont normally sell brisket, then yeah you gotta do what you gotta do...get the Creekstone.

2. Do NOT separate flat from point. They cook differently. But you ignore the point. Your focus is all on the flat. If the flat is done, the point will be too.

3. I would not inject. Keep it simple. Injection is to enhance a properly cooked brisket. You CAN inject if you want, but injection wont save an poorly cooked brisket.

4. I like to wrap cause it offers some protection from the heat and cooks faster. Its a personal choice.

5. Make sure you know how to properly slice the flat and point once its cooked. Slicing it wrong can kinda ruin the texture. Also resting is important. I would not worry a whole lot about trimming. You can kinda get away with a hack trim job. Watch an Aaron Franklin trim video and give it a shot. There's lots of videos that give terrible trim advice. Watch Aarons. He keeps it simple.

If you simply are confused and unsure about it all. I would simply cook it at 250-275* till the the thick part of the flat (center of the brisket) is 200 and then pull it. Then let it rest at least an hour. It wont be perfect but should at least be a start and edible. Over cooked is better than under cooked. Over cooked will be dry, but still edible. Undercooked will be rubbery and not really edible.

Only way to learn is just go for it. Each one you cook you will learn more.

Last edited by Rockinar; 07-16-2018 at 05:59 PM..
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #5
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Looks like it's time for the Brisky 101 tutorial:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882

Good Luck and Have Fun!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
Dr. Weld
Knows what a fatty is.

Wow!!

Thanks for the responses!!

I really appreciate the time and effort put forth in answering my questions.

Thanks for the link.. I will be looking, studying and referencing it.

I will head to SAM's and see what they got for a brisket. I have a few meat shops around here as well and I can see what they have to offer. Most of my other steaks I cook are prime grade and aged, that's why I was asking about Creeks brisket. I will get a cheaper version since it's my first.

I'm hoping I don't ruin my first few briskets. lol.

Again, THANKS!!!

Old 07-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Both responses were spot on. Have fun, learn, then eat!
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

Let me try...

1. Buy a big flat no point just the flat it will give you everything you need to for your first cook.

2. Salt, Pepper, some Chilies(Prudhommes is my go to), other stuff if you like, or find a reputable rub that you can easily get a hold of in your area.

3. Grilla is a Pellet grill, you can do neat things to boost the smoke flavour a little. I just got my Pellet Grill but I did my research and have some experience working smokehouses. I start my longer cooks at 180 for 4 hours, ramp up to 230 and leave it there till the stall, you will then wrap it in whatever is in fashion at that point, ramp up to 275 till your probe goes in very easily. Open the package let it rest collect juices for extra goodness when serving. No water, No injection, nothing too fancy.

4. If you do not have one your IMMEDIATE investment should be a Thermapen or other instaread with the pointy end.
SmokePigTails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
Dr. Weld
Knows what a fatty is.

Good day Smoke Pig tails,

What do you do to get that extra smoke flavor? Or do you achieve that with the lower temp for the 4 hours?

Thanks for the reply..

Old 07-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #10
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

So the way I understand it is as such, the hotter the fire the cleaner the the burn gets, the less smoke you have. So at lower temps you make more smoke, from what I have read here and elsewhere 180-190 is a good starting point, some pits use it as the "Super Smoke" setting. I have heard on a few podcasts that The Grilla has an amazing smoke flavour.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:27 PM   #11
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokePigTails View Post

4. If you do not have one your IMMEDIATE investment should be a Thermapen or other instaread with the pointy end.
Gonna have to disagree with this advice a little bit....about the worst thing a brisket newb could do is let internal temperature dictate the "done" time.

Probe tender, probe test, probe like butter....start googling those terms, and disregard temperature after 190* or so. Resist with all your power to let internal temp readings influence when you pull the brisket. If you cant resist, then use a bamboo skewer.

That's my advice. I made pretty good briskets for a while now, but consistency has increased greatly since I stopped caring about internal temp. Probing at 210* and still not tender....f it, that brisket stays where it is.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #12
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah, I mentioned probe tender in the directions, but that extra part about buying a probe may have been confusing. The reason I add it is because many new cooks do not buy one, and most people who have bought a grill know that you will be cooking a yardbird within a week. Most BBQ meats you have time/temp on your side Chicken is not usually cooked long enough to wing it.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:30 PM   #13
Moosefire66
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : rich

I've never done a brisket but just saw this video today which splits the brisket in 2. Might work....

https://youtu.be/KZbNHkedL0Q

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Moosefire66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 12:48 AM   #14
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosefire66 View Post
I've never done a brisket but just saw this video today which splits the brisket in 2. Might work....

https://youtu.be/KZbNHkedL0Q

Sure, if you want to turn your brisket into a flank steak.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #15
Dr. Weld
Knows what a fatty is.

I watched the video and his other one Texas Style brisket. So texas style you keep the brisket intake and don't use all the sauces and injections, as opposed to non-texas and competition style where you would use injections and sauces?

Why is that the case for comps? If it's to creat flavor, don't you want your brisket to be flavorful all times?