LONNNNG Cooktime on Shirley

Without being there. I'm guessing with the colder temps. All thought that is not all that cold.
You might have not had the pit up to your temp long enough. And when placing that much meat on. The temps of course dropped. And the pit took a much longer time to get back to your cooking temp. That was your added time.
I'd suggest you shoot for 300* before you add the meat. The pit will recover much faster. Then cook at your desired temp.
couple examples, both Shirley's

Last edited:
Im running a wireless thermometer at meat level and making sure to keep it at atleast 225...

I dont pay much attention to the built in thermometers.

rb

Ok, so what was the size of the brisket? I just did a 10# at 275° that took right at 10 hours.

I’m willin to spend a few more hours to get er right!

That implies that 275° is wrong. Cooking at 225° doesn't make it "right", it's just going to take longer. The folks here are just trying to help, as virtually all of us have done a comparison of cooks at ~225° and at ~275° and have found no benefit to the lower cook temps. It just takes longer and gives the same result. In fact, I don't think that any of the well-known BBQ shacks cook that low. If I remember right, Franklin's cooks at closer to 300°.

Give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised. :thumb:

Thanks boys, i appreciate all the comments. I am soaking it all in at the moment.

With the WSM i would usually lock her in around 260 and always enjoyed the results, but with the new Shirley iv been enjoying it a little lower, of course its been 102* every cook since iv had her. Im sure that aided in the temp.

Next run ill give her a little more juice and see how she purrs for that long. I have noticed that i can get it pretty dialed in around 260-285 when cooking chicken. Maybe the Shirley just prefers it a little hotter.

THANKS GUYS
rb

Figured I may as well as post the pic of the meat im complaining about. Another 45 mins on the smoker and another hour of rest and i think i get 1st. I say i got 3rd for appearance alone.

Although the greenery can really be improved on.

2gzsMA8.jpg

also just want to add that when cooking at a little higher temp it helps get through the stall faster and a lot of times there is no stall at all . I used to be the low and slow guy too but changed my ways and my cooks still come out the same but not as long cook times . :wink:

Figured I may as well as post the pic of the meat im complaining about. Another 45 mins on the smoker and another hour of rest and i think i get 1st. I say i got 3rd for appearance alone.

Although the greenery can really be improved on.

2gzsMA8.jpg

looks fantastic too Rus .:clap2:

Huge believer in long hold times. Also the 275* is the new 225.....no reason at all to be sitting around. My stickburner, an LSG vertical offset with insulated firebox hates cooking at 225* but purrs at 275* 250* also works pretty well with a small fire but takes a little more effort.

Until I started reading forums like this I didn’t know what cooking at 225° was. When I started out 40+ years ago working in a commercial BBQ joint everything was cooked at 275° and when done held in a warming oven @160° until it was needed for service.

Until I started reading forums like this I didn’t know what cooking at 225° was. When I started out 40+ years ago working in a commercial BBQ joint everything was cooked at 275° and when done held in a warming oven @160° until it was needed for service.
Dang you're old! :heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a Shirley 24 x 65 and have found the middle and lower rack take longer to cook than the top rack. I always monitor my pit temperture from the top rack. When the Shirley is loaded with pork butts the top rack will always finish first, as room on the top rack comes available I move butts up. Shirley likes to run 275 - 300 so that is what I cook at. I have as of yet to see any reason to go back to 225 - 250f, but I am not a competition cooker.

Thanks guys... I am going to have to give the wife a break from smoke for a few weeks (shes had to endure alot of prep bbq over the last couple of months, then 2 comps in a row), THEN im going to try a higher temp brisket cook to compare my results.

Iv spent a decent amount of time dialing in that brisket cook... ill report back on this over 250* cooking soon. :)

rb

Back