• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Competition Advice

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Selma, TX(You better slow down when you hit town)
www.smokinontherio.com

Sanctioned by IBCA http://www.ibcabbq.org/

One think interesting in the rules is that there are no garnish allowed, just meat goes in the turn in box.

This comp has 5 categories, I think I do brisket pretty well, chicken too and OK on spareribs(taste is fine, just difficult to get the tenderness right). I will not do the fajitas or beans unless I get more help and that person takes charge of those.

Should I just stick with brisket and chicken or is it better to go for all three? How many pieces of meat should I do, I have a bandera, so I am somewhat limited on space. I am thinking about 2 briskets(CAB), 4 slabs of spares and 4 chicken halves(halves are specified in the rules). I have access to a second pit, which I think I will use for chicken and the fajiats(if we do those).

If I do the spares, should I trim the brisket end of the ribs to make them as thin/small as possible so it cooks more even?

Another interesting thing in the rules, no sauce added after cooking. I wonder if dipping in drippings counts as adding sauce?

Rules excerpt "...All garnishes and condiments are prohibited, as they do not reflect true quality of the cooked meats. Meats may be cooked with sauces, but once the cooking is complete, sauces cannot be added before the meat is placed in the judging. tray."

Sorry this is kind of rambling.

jgh1204 said:
www.smokinontherio.com

Sanctioned by IBCA http://www.ibcabbq.org/

Should I just stick with brisket and chicken or is it better to go for all three? How many pieces of meat should I do, I have a bandera,

If I do the spares, should I trim the brisket end of the ribs to make them as thin/small as possible so it cooks more even?

Another interesting thing in the rules, no sauce added after cooking. I wonder if dipping in drippings counts as adding sauce?....

I have plenty of opinions, and little experience to back them up, but here they are:

I am not sure how IBCA ranks, and frankly the web site is less than clear and informative. If here is no 'penalty' in terms of overall rankings for only turning in the big 3, that is what I would do for your first competition. You will be SO BUSY come turn in time. I hope you have help. 3 is enough. If the question is to do just 2, welllll ... no, do 3.

Cook as much as you can manage in the Bandera. You probably know, a 'full' bandera behaves very differnet than a relatively empty one, so be sure you are prepared for cooking with it full.

For the spares, I would trim the strip from the ribs, remove the membrane, and tightly trim up the tips, but leave all the ribs in tact until cooked. Hope that makes sense.

For sauce and finishing glaze, just put it on right before you are taking them out if you really want a final sauce. But understand, ICBA judges may be expecting very sauceless ribs, I just have no point of reference.

Looks like my answer was more rambling than the question ....

As a member and comp cook in IBCA events maybe I can help. NO sauce allowed to be in the bottom of the tray...none. If so you will be DQ'd. I put on a finishing "glaze" on my ribs and chicken. Turn in amounts are as follows: 7 slices of brisket, 7 ribs (st louis style work better as they fit in the box better and are "pretty"), and one fully jointed 1/2 chicken.
You can cook as much as you think you will need. I cook 1 (one) brisket as I can't really afford to cook more than one, but some folks do two andcompare the two and turn in 7 slices...so if you've cooked two..pick the better one and turn in 7. I usually cook 4 racks of ribs and turn in 7 of the best ribs....example: cut your ribs so that you cut on the bone side of one, skip one bone and cut the bone side of the next rib...this way you gat a wider rib. Furthermore, I cook 2 whole birds and turn in the better 1/2. The judges are not allowed to pick up any piece...each piece is cut with a plastic knife and eaten with a plastic fork. After a judge has sampled the piece they throw away the untensils and start fresh with new plastic for the next entry. No garnish is needed. The judges are picked from public...not from any pool of "certified judges" so if you get lucky and your entry gets on a table of open-minded judges you should do good. No one has any idea of what the judges will like, but from where you are competing you might consider making things with a little more "kick" than usual. So, I hope this info will help you...if not post me any question and I will do my best to help you at least get to the finals table.

Is the garnish thing right as well? Nothing but meat in the box?

The entry specifies spare ribs, I assumed that meant I had to leave the brisket portion on. I would much rather cut them into St Louis style, makes cooking them so much easier.

Yep, NO garnish...just meat. St Louis style is perfect!

Usually if they specify spare ribs it means NO Babybacks!! St. Louis cut spares are 'da bomb!

Back