MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #16
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

I like what I turn in. It is pretty tasty in my opinion.

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #17
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

FWIW, I am a judge and a sometimes competitor. I am not a fan of the candy meat that gets turned in and hope that the fad fades away soon. My ribs have never won, got some calls though, and I do not do them really sweet. A little sweet with some back heat is what works for me.

Trying to educate them one at a time.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #18
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

IMOP! Bold IS better! Sweet is not! Just my 2 cents worth!
Lonely Charbroil Infrared Gasser and Quick Read Thermapen
[B]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/B]
mikes1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #19
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

I eat my comp ribs at home quite often, and I am not obese. I don't always feel like that much flavor overload, but usually when people want to try my food, they want to try what I turn in at comp, and everybody loves them.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #20
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB-Kuhn View Post
I eat my comp ribs at home quite often, and I am not obese. I don't always feel like that much flavor overload, but usually when people want to try my food, they want to try what I turn in at comp, and everybody loves them.
Whenever anyone asks me to cook for them, they always want the comp treatment and rave about it so everyone must not think comp meat is way too sweet. Also, when I cook at home it generally is to practice a new comp recipe so I can say I don't mind the sweetness. It is Kansas City style after all.

I would prefer it if the judges wanted ribs and pork another way because it would be much easier on us if we didn't have to do all that stuff, but they don't. I have tried recipes that are different but every time I do, we get slammed on score. Don't have to hit me over the head twice. We cook what the judges want.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #21
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

What I don't get is that there are real one bite contests. Unfortunately, comp Q has turned into one bite and throw a bunch away contests. I actually think part of the criteria needs to be the ability to eat the product as part of a meal.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #22
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

i always thought it was a bit hipocritical to say you won't eat your comp meat and also misleading to newbys. for a while i even thought it was a tactic to get everyone gobbing on tons of stuff when it was not necessary. i guess some do well with that but imho what you are really looking for is balanced flavors of spices AND meat and perfected cook times.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #23
Bludawg

JM2C I think ya'll need different judges I'd be givin -5's on that stuff. If I can not distinguish the flavor of the meat from all the glopity goo it's no bueno in my book.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #24
Heavy J
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Actually bacon and chocolate go quite well together. Everyone knows everything is better with bacon.
Heavy J is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #25
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
I was watching the travel channel this weekend and they had a tour of some bbq regions by state and one was Tennessee and the Memphis in May BBQ event. Almost every shot shown of teams preparing ribs absolutely caked on brown sugar, honey, butter or all of the above.

I looked at that and knew without having to taste it. There's NO WAY I could eat those ribs. I understand the "judges only getting one bite" thought process and I agree. But as a general spectator there's no way someone could actually taste much of the meat on many of the ribs I saw. I guess that is the difference in competition ribs and backyard ribs.
Perhaps in KCBS, but no so in MBN nor GBA (for what it's worth). In these, the judge will eat an entire rib or two if they're worth a darn. Onsite, probably even 3 ribs...

That which you describe probably wouldn't make it into the top 50th percentile in these other sanctioning bodies.

I'd say it's the difference in KCBS "style" of judging vs. other styles...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #26
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

It's interesting to read what makes a perfect rib for one person and a perfect rib for another person. Maybe some of that difference is how sweet the food we grew up eating was. I'm just starting to cook with sugar a little, finally gave in to putting half a teaspoon in a big bowl of coleslaw and despite what I wanted to discover, it tasted better. I'm at the other end of the spectrum taking a few steps toward the middle.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #27
landarc

I can't speak to other regions, but, in California, most people seem to prefer a sweet, over-cooked rib, they also seem to prefer sweet, mushy, strings of pork. I have noticed that they also seem to prefer brisket that has been braised in beer and syrup.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #28
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Perhaps in KCBS, but no so in MBN nor GBA (for what it's worth). In these, the judge will eat an entire rib or two if they're worth a darn. Onsite, probably even 3 ribs...

That which you describe probably wouldn't make it into the top 50th percentile in these other sanctioning bodies.

I'd say it's the difference in KCBS "style" of judging vs. other styles...
You are correct. It is a difference in the sanctioning bodies and the judges of each.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #29
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I can't speak to other regions, but, in California, most people seem to prefer a sweet, over-cooked rib, they also seem to prefer sweet, mushy, strings of pork. I have noticed that they also seem to prefer brisket that has been braised in beer and syrup.
That certainly explains California Corn Bread then...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #30
Bludawg

If you put sugar in cornbread it is no Ionger cornbread it is cake! Now back to the great meat candy debate...

1 members found this post helpful.