BWS Party Owners

Porky

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I recently read a thread on the BWS Forum about increasing the length of time between adding water to the water pan so I decided to try this method this past weekend when I would be cooking for 6 hours. Before filling the water pan place chunk of wood in the pan, place a foil wrapped rack on top of the pan with a hole in the center. The piece of wood acts as a heat sink and does a heck of a job. I still had plenty of water remaining and could have run a couple more hours easily at 235-250.

Interesting...But just to be clear

1. Place a chunk of wood in the empty water ban of the BWS
2. Fill water pan with water?
3. Place a BWS rack covered in foil on top of the water pan and poke hole in the center.

Jeff

Hmmmmm evaporation would be slowed a bit, and the wood would absorb moisture allowing for longer cooking time. Wonder if you could forgo the wood and just do the foiled rack. The wood takes up space creating lower volumn of water. Removing the wood would allow for more water volumn and the foiled rack would "catch" the steam and return the vapor back to liquid slowing evaporation. After doing it, do you think the wood adds that much to the equation?????

Anything to prolong filling the water pan is a great idea in my opinion.

Interesting...But just to be clear

1. Place a chunk of wood in the empty water ban of the BWS
2. Fill water pan with water?
3. Place a BWS rack covered in foil on top of the water pan and poke hole in the center.

Jeff

Jeff,

Yes that is correct, one other thing. When placing the foil on the rack put it on the underside of the rack, this way the weight of the grease/fat will funnel into the water. The piece of wood will displace some water that is why you put the wood in the pan first. Let me know how it works.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm evaporation would be slowed a bit, and the wood would absorb moisture allowing for longer cooking time. Wonder if you could forgo the wood and just do the foiled rack. The wood takes up space creating lower volumn of water. Removing the wood would allow for more water volumn and the foiled rack would "catch" the steam and return the vapor back to liquid slowing evaporation. After doing it, do you think the wood adds that much to the equation?????

Anything to prolong filling the water pan is a great idea in my opinion.

Tom,
All I can tell you is that it worked better that just foiling the bottom rack which I have been doing since I own my Party. If it matters, it was a large chunk of apple wood. Maybe it just absorbs and dissipates the heat more efficiently.

Does this effect the moisture content in the cooker, lower humidity? Are you noticing any difference in you finished meats?

Brian,
I have only tried this once,yesterday, and it doesn't seem as though there is any difference. I did 4 racks of spares and they tasted moist & flavorful.

Interesting

I will give it a try tonight I am cooking 4 butts for a pool party at work tomorrow. I'll be posting pics so I will post my results of the water pan mod also.

Ineresting, indeed. How much grease ended on top of the foil? With the foil under the rack, any chance it will collapse into the water pan?

I used to fill my pan with water and put a flat foil pan (oven liner) on top of the water pan. I would bend the back up a bit so steam could still escape. It would catch all of the drippings and keep the water pan from getting nasty which really made cleanups a breeze. I could go 225F for 5-6 hours when running this way in conjuction with the heat divertor I added.

This sounds very similar to what I used to do with the air bake pan when I had a Party. I didn't notice much of a difference in water time.

Attachments

• SSPX0081.jpg
    SSPX0081.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 147
  • SSPX0082.jpg
    SSPX0082.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 145
Ineresting, indeed. How much grease ended on top of the foil? With the foil under the rack, any chance it will collapse into the water pan?

Jack
I always line my water pan with foil so it is not a complete disaster to clean up. With the hole in the center there is little chance of collapse and the amount of grease depends on what type of meat is being cooked, so far i have done ribs only.

Bobby,
The only difference is that chunk of wood that I threw in. I no longer use the auto water feed since I added the diverter and now this chunk of wood.:smile:

I'll give it a try this weekend. Can't hurt.

I also hear that the diverter plate helps. I have my diverter plate but haven't installed it yet (too lazy to call my buddy that welds).

I recently read a thread on the BWS Forum about increasing the length of time between adding water to the water pan so I decided to try this method this past weekend when I would be cooking for 6 hours. Before filling the water pan place chunk of wood in the pan, place a foil wrapped rack on top of the pan with a hole in the center. The piece of wood acts as a heat sink and does a heck of a job. I still had plenty of water remaining and could have run a couple more hours easily at 235-250.
Are you not using a heat diverter?

reason I ask is that I usually get a pretty long burn on the waterpan without refilling with the divertor only

Back