MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
KevinK
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Business Name

I'm opening a BBQ trailer/shack on a busy road and trying to come up with a name for it. The only thing I have so far is Sporkie's BBQ. The slogan would be, "so tender you can eat it with a spork." The idea is to not take myself to serious and have a whimsical drawing of a spork with the outside points of the spork in the shape of pigs ears and a pig's face on the spork. I've been so focused on the food that I haven't put a lot of thought on the name but think it is probably an important decision and must be somewhat memorable to help word of mouth and repeat business. I appreciate anyone's honest feedback! Thanks in advance!
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds good to me. And, you are right to be focused on the food. The name and graphics may help you get first-time customers, but the real money comes from word-of-mouth advertising from satisfied customers.

I have been self employed most of my adult life, and NOTHING beats word of mouth advertising. That's where at least 75 percent of my income comes from.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
landarc

As a fan of sporks, no kidding, I can see how this would totally work. Even more so if you gave away sporks with the cole slaw or sides. Of course, you will need backup options as you never know what names have been registered in the past. But, I say go for it.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Solid name, as long as you don't pay copyright fees if you go big!

I'd try to find something that starts with B. I use Bell Mt. BBQ for vending or just cooking. It's a famous sledding mountain nearby.

Also if you specialized in brisket you could use Bullock BBQ .
twinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

Where will you be located in Iowa City? Are you open on game days? I hear that the City is really cracking down on roadside vendors on Melrose Ave.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law

Last edited by PCDoctor_1979; 09-02-2011 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Added another comment
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
KevinK
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

City is requiring a permit for anyone selling food or merchandise for the games. I didn't get a permit this year but should be ready for next season. It was pretty wet here today so all the vendors were having a rough day. Heck even the game was delayed, I can't remember a B10 game ever being delayed and there were 2 delayed today!!!
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

I actually like the name and the slogan. I think it's clever and original.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Bbq Bubba

BBQ is not meant to be eaten with a spoon, fork or spork. JMO.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
City is requiring a permit for anyone selling food or merchandise for the games. I didn't get a permit this year but should be ready for next season. It was pretty wet here today so all the vendors were having a rough day. Heck even the game was delayed, I can't remember a B10 game ever being delayed and there were 2 delayed today!!!
I was at the game and I think the only time I've been wetter was in a swimming pool! Good luck with the vending next year.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

What about Big Game BBQ? Your idea is not bad though.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #11
plethoraofpinatas
On the road to being a farker

Honest opinion, I don't like it. Sporks remind me of cafeteria food and you DON'T want to be associated with that.

Coming soon! - Oyler 700
Lang 60 Deluxe
22.5" WSM (x2), 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTS
Char Griller Smoker Pro w/ SFB, reverse flow mod
plethoraofpinatas is offline   Reply With Quote