Boxes without greens?

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey All,

I don't compete yet (maybe in a few years when the kids get older), but I try to keep an eye on this group so I'll be ready if and when I decide to do it.

So what's with the greens in the boxes? I know it's optional, and I know that's not supposed to affect the judging.

Why don't more people turn meat in without any greens? Have lots tried?

Are there other options besides spending an hour on a turn-in box and turning it in completely bare?

Just wondering what the current thinking is on this.

Thanks,
Bret

Appearance is a scoring category. I don't think I have ever heard anyone say they score as good without garnish as with. Personally, I find it a tad ridiculous, but such are BBQ contests.

That is one thing that I really like about the FBA contests........no green.....meat only. :mrgreen:

What are the rules as far as what you 'could' put in there with the meat? I mean, for example, could you put broccolli or green beans or peas in there? Not that I would, but...

I just went and read the rules on the KCBS site:
Garnish is optional. If used, it is limited to chopped, sliced,
shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly parsley,
flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro. Kale, endive, red tipped
lettuce, lettuce cores and other vegetation are prohibited.
(Improper garnish shall receive a score of one (1) on
Appearance)

Interesting. I still wonder, though, why such a non-bbq thing is so closely tied to a BBQ contest.

What are the rules as far as what you 'could' put in there with the meat? I mean, for example, could you put broccolli or green beans or peas in there? Not that I would, but...

I can see why a lot of teams hate doing garnish, but for us BBQ is a hobby that we can do as a family (most of the time we even bring our 4 year old and 1 year old boys.)
My wife and I compete as a team. Turn in boxes are her part of the competition.

Get your wife involved, and make the garnish her job.
Competitions are expensive, and I can't IMAGINE trying to justify $750-$1500 per month for a hobby that they were not a part of.

IMHO of course

71-South, go ahead and get out there and compete. I bring my 5 and 7 year old kids to the comp's with me and they have a great time!

I've seen boxes go in without garnish, I'm too afraid to try it myself.

71-South, go ahead and get out there and compete. I bring my 5 and 7 year old kids to the comp's with me and they have a great time!

When my youngest is 5, I might very well compete. He's 21 months old now, though, and I just can't see doing it with a 7, a 4, and a 1 year old. I'm using this time to learn the craft so I can hit the ground running, or at least crawling, when I do start.

When my youngest is 5, I might very well compete. He's 21 months old now, though, and I just can't see doing it with a 7, a 4, and a 1 year old. I'm using this time to learn the craft so I can hit the ground running, or at least crawling, when I do start.

Find a small comp close to home and go for it.

Find a small comp close to home and go for it.

I may just do that. I live 30 miles South of Kansas City, in Harrisonville, Mo. There's no shortage of comps here. I'll bet there are 10 of them within an hour from me, including the Royal and the Great American. This year, there was one about 1/2 mile from my house. Kurzweils is about 7 miles away. I just went down and visited with Todd (Plowboys) for a bit and picked up a jar of Bovine Bold. Mmmmmmmm...

Back