• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

HELP! Weber Summit S-650 NG 2007 Not heating up

UNCMo96

Reaction score
I have a Weber Summit S-650 that I've had since 2007. Last year I noticed the grill wasn't heating up anywhere near full temp (was getting only to 400 or 500). I replaced all the burner tubes and still no luck. This year it barely gets to 200. I had the Natural gas people come out and check the gas line and I was getting 6.4 inches of water column at the quick disconnect.

I called a shop to service the grill and the guy on the phone told me that it could be the regulator. He suggested turning on burners in succession and if the flames start to dwindle then theres your answer. I checked it out and low and behold the flames were dwindling. (the above is copied from the post below)...

I replaced the regulator and now it seems to be getting up to 250 or 300. However, the issues are the same. I turn on burners in succession and the flames dwindle. Even the side burner as well dwindles as I turn on more burners (makes me think there's an obstruction before the regulator?) I did a leak test to make sure theres no leaks. What's left to replace? NG hose? quick disconnect?

I was reading that I can adjust the regulator to allow more gas. Is this something I should do?

https://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261553

Last edited:
I'd go get a 22.5 Weber kettle and a bag of charcoal

I have a weber charcoal grill and a kamado joe. The summit is good for weekdays when I need to do a quick cook. Since it's been malfunctioning I've been relying on the Kamado most of the time.

Are natural gas and propane regulators different.? Get the right one. ?

Sounds to me like the air orifices may be restricted. For nat gas the ratio is 10 parts air to one part gas for clean blue flame. Spider webs etc can clog the air intakes as well as just dirt getting sucked into them with the natural vortx on the manifold if you have eliminated the gas regulator as the cause of the problem. Good Luck!

someone mentioned the air ofrices which would be a good checking point to make sure no spiders setup shop in there... When you changed your tubes out. Did you give up on fixing it for awhile? sometimes critters do setup shop. Maybe something broke in the regulator an pushed into the hose? Good luck!

I changed the burner tubes last summer. This year I cleaned out the tubes and no spiders. When there's one or two burners on the flames are strong and blue. So blue that I can't see them in the daytime and check at night (like when I first bought the grill). It's just with successive burners the flames (and the flame for the igniter as well) diminish but are still blue.

Based on deductive reasoning I would imagine it's either the hose or quick disconnect right? The pressure is good before the grill.

Just wanted to provide some follow up. I replaced the regulator and I still had issues. I had a repairman come out and it turns out theres a leak in the natural gas tubing in the fixtures sealed by the factory. I replaced the hose and i'm back in business!

Back