Geting started selling dry rub

Rbkr5

Found some matches.
Reaction score
New to site. Love it. I have been making my own dry rub for a couple of years now. More and more people tell me I should sell it. Where do I start? I am in Illinois. Help please

If you first check with your local health dept they will be able to guide you in the right direction. You will probably find that you will have to have a commercial kitchen and get permits through the health dept.

I use McCarthy Spice and Blend out of St. Louis for mine. You send them a sample along with your recipe, then they duplicate it and produce it for you. It's a simple process and makes things a lot easier, believe me. They'll package it in bulk or in smaller amounts for resale and I think their pricing is reasonable.

http://www.mccarthyspice.com/

Call Phil Wingo. Porkmafia.us You might already know him, I swear he knows everyone in the Chicago area. Be aware, no matter what co-packer you go with, there is always a minimum initial purchase, usually a couple hundred pounds.

I used sentry seasonings to get mine made. they did a great job. I just get it in bulk so i don't have to mess with making it myself. They did a 40lb minimum for me.

Just to toss some math into this..

If you order 50 lbs of rub. That works out to 800 ounces.
If you bottle it in 5oz bottles, that is 160 bottles. (~15 cases)

At these quantities; Bottle + cap + label is gonna cost ya $1.75- $2.50 each and that is before you put your rub in it or pay a co-packer to bottle it ($1.25-$1.50 per bottle to package, not counting cost of ingredients)

You could easily have $3.00-$4.00+ per bottle wrapped up before you buy the ingredients, add mark-ups and put some profit in your pocket.

Unless you are selling a premium product, at these cost levels, it will be difficult to sell at a high enough price to cover the effort spent.

Some co-packers will be more, some will be less, but at the 50lb mark, this seems to be a good average.

YMMV

Just to toss some math into this..

If you order 50 lbs of rub. That works out to 800 ounces.
If you bottle it in 5oz bottles, that is 160 bottles. (~15 cases)

At these quantities; Bottle + cap + label is gonna cost ya $1.75- $2.50 each and that is before you put your rub in it or pay a co-packer to bottle it ($1.25-$1.50 per bottle to package, not counting cost of ingredients)

You could easily have $3.00-$4.00+ per bottle wrapped up before you buy the ingredients, add mark-ups and put some profit in your pocket.

Unless you are selling a premium product, at these cost levels, it will be difficult to sell at a high enough price to cover the effort spent.

Some co-packers will be more, some will be less, but at the 50lb mark, this seems to be a good average.

YMMV

Which is why we haven't looked into selling ours. :wink: Buying in bulk to save myself the time of mixing it is all well and good, but if it was going to be packaged for individual sale, I don't think the margin would be worth it.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. And for making me aware of some things I hadn’t considered.

Lots of people lose their shirts every year on 4 products that have way too much market activity already; bbq rubs, bbq sauces, hot sauces and salsa.

Lots of people lose their shirts every year on 4 products that have way too much market activity already; bbq rubs, bbq sauces, hot sauces and salsa.

But MY salsa will be different from the 173,000 other versions already on the shelf!

Back