Cooking large quantities of ribs

Bulldog316

Reaction score
I tried looking on older threads so I didn't have to ask but there's tons of threads to go through. Typically I like to use the 3-2-1 method when cooking my ribs but I have a catering request where I'll need to cook about 35 racks of ribs and doubt I'll have enough space on my smoker to do that. My question is did anyone try and cook multiple racks of ribs in a foil covered pan to save space instead of individually wrapping them? How did they turn out? Thanks!

No experience with the pan.

When I do large quantities of ribs I don't wrap. I stack them while cooking if I don't have the rack space. Rib racks can help also. I prefer to stack than use racks though. I rotate every 45 minutes or so.

~5 hours @ 275 for St. Louis ribs

Did an event last year where we cooked 45 slabs on a combo of 3 WSMs and 3 drums. We did wrap, and did them in shifts. However, when we wrapped, we turned down the heat on one of the drums, and stacked them inside, rotating every half hour or so. Then the other 5 cookers got batch 2, and when the wrapped ones were done they went into a cambro until we were ready to slice and serve. It worked pretty decently.

I did about that many on a horizontal RF and panned rather than wrapped, and the results were not satisfactory. The overall cook time extended by over an hour and I wasn't happy with the smoke ring or bark.

I use rib racks when I have to but don't really like them. I cook them at 275 for about three hours without wrapping and then put them in pans covered with foil to rest.

I use turbinado sugar for all pork and dont wrap 275 temp pull when they bend and about break sauce and rest...

I cook around 210 racks every year for a huge BBQ and Blues event. I borrow a Ole'Hickory on wheels... :)

Start your first batch early, place in a cambro, or hot hold cabinet. Then get the next batch on ASAP. We smoke everything at 275 for large events.

Back