Weber Performer assembling question

R

rmzg

Hey all. I recently received a Weber Performer Platinum, which is a charcoal grill that comes with a gas ignition system.

I managed to assemble it without too many pieces left over but the gas connection is making me a little nervous. It has a gas connecting hose that plugs into the side of the 'bowl' where the charcoal goes. It fits snugly and came with a fastener I used to secure it to the side of the bowl. However I noticed that the connection has several holes in it; between the plug and the connecting hose. What I'm trying to figure out is: if this is normal and expected?

This is my first time assembling something using gas and I'm a little paranoid about not blowing myself up!

I'm attaching a picture link of the connection, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know if it looks right. As you can see the plug is on the left side and the tube from the bowl is on the right and you can see the holes in the tube that I'm worried about.

http://i.imgur.com/0LUcvr0.jpg

From the looks of the assembly diagram it looks right. Just follow it to a t and you should be fine.

It's not going to blow up. The flame can't get back into the bottle.

Those holes are needed to mix air with the gas so it will burn. You will see that on gas grills also.

Those holes are needed to mix air with the gas so it will burn. You will see that on gas grills also.

Perzactly.

And if you get spider webs in the tube or the burner part inside the kettle deteriorates sufficiently to not work well, you can get flames out of those holes, but not back further because (1) there is no air and (2) the velocity of the gas in the orifice immediately upstream of those holes is greater than the flame front velocity of propane.

Back