Fec 100

Grafixgibbs

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
The team is looking at getting an FEC 100 and all I can find is great reviews about them (not a bad thing.) I was wondering if there are any negatives to them and what they are. Things you may need to watch out for etc.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

We bought one not to long ago. I cooked on it 3 times before my brother took it from me. I'll list the negatives I've come up with below:

1)
2)
3)
4)

I hope that helps

only thing ive heard is that you need to start it realllll low to get a smoke ring on brisket and shoulders. Other than that, ive had the pleasure of cooking on one, they're super dependable have great capacity...its an oven, super dependable.

I love mine. Here are the most common negatives i hear on the various forums...

1. Smoke flavor not as strong as stick burner - this is subjective
2. Not as "good" a smoke ring - I get a very nice smoke ring, and smoke ring shouldn't impact scores (theoretically)
3. Mechanical, so parts failure can be an issue - always a concern with anything that has moving parts/electronics. Some teams carry spare parts.
4. Need power - If power fails at a comp you could be sunk. Most teams carry either a battery/inverter or a generator

I think that covers the most common ones. I'm not getting into the whole "cheating" or "skill set" argument. We've beaten that to death multiple times :-D

I love mine. Here are the most common negatives i hear on the various forums...

1. Smoke flavor not as strong as stick burner - this is subjective
2. Not as "good" a smoke ring - I get a very nice smoke ring, and smoke ring shouldn't impact scores (theoretically)
3. Mechanical, so parts failure can be an issue - always a concern with anything that has moving parts/electronics. Some teams carry spare parts.
4. Need power - If power fails at a comp you could be sunk. Most teams carry either a battery/inverter or a generator

I think that covers the most common ones. I'm not getting into the whole "cheating" or "skill set" argument. We've beaten that to death multiple times :-D

Thanks good things to remember. As to skill set, we gots them, we just like our sleep too. :wink:

As I witnessed last spring, they can get away from you and catch fire. not sure how it happened, but it happened.

We set our Klose pit on fire a couple years ago due to MY neglect.

We did a total shut down, fire only lasted about 2 minutes and we luckily salvaged 50 chicken thighs.

That will never happen again.

We set our Klose pit on fire a couple years ago due to MY neglect.

We did a total shut down, fire only lasted about 2 minutes and we luckily salvaged 50 chicken thighs.

That will never happen again.

Yikes - I guess I better clean my smoker.

As I witnessed last spring, they can get away from you and catch fire. not sure how it happened, but it happened.

If the grease isn't cleaned out, any pit can have a fire.

Jorge is correct that grease fires can happen in almost any pit. I assume Munkee's Pit is talking about Brewmaster's new FEC100 that caught on fire last spring. I believe that turned out to be a bad controller board. A VERY isolated incident. Any pit can have issues. Hell, Fitz's stick burner almost killed him because of the propane assist.

Well we're going to go ahead and get a FEC 100. We have some big plans for it too. Doing some local vending opportunities and community outreach. It will come in handy and make a great cooker for comps.

Jorge is correct that grease fires can happen in almost any pit. I assume Munkee's Pit is talking about Brewmaster's new FEC100 that caught on fire last spring. I believe that turned out to be a bad controller board. A VERY isolated incident. Any pit can have issues. Hell, Fitz's stick burner almost killed him because of the propane assist.

I was refering to Fitz's FE that caught fire in Fulton. Not sure what happened but woke up to fire trucks at 2am. And he went on to win GC on his Traeger.

Here is what a stick burner can do to you just with a log lighter. 9 screws and a SS plate, bone graphs, repaired tendon, and a lot off F'ing pain, 1 year off work with NO INCOME! And a date to get a brand new knee! What a blast.....non pun intended.:icon_shy
Jimsleg002.jpg

I have been talking with some folks here on the Brethren who are dealers. I have decided to wait on my purchase for now, but I can certainly pass along their names and numbers. Great prices and service. Buy Brethren!!!

I was just going to say that KCK.com offers a Brethren Discount on FECs... Just call Bob and tell him you are a Brethren.

the only downside to an fec is the pellets. its just not an ordinary thing to go to the store to buy, like charcoal. just make sure to always have a fair share of pellets in stock and youll be ok.

Back