MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Koopdaddy
Got Wood.

Default Tips for Grilling Ribeyes

Anyone have some tips for grilling ribeyes they want to share.

I am am seasoning with salt and pepper and will be using my 22" kettle. Any tips, hints and suggestions are much appreciated.
Koopdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
donmiller
Knows what a fatty is.

I usually do a high temp sear on both sides, then move the steaks to a cooler part of the grill and leave them until the internal temp reaches 155 or so (I like medium). If you like more rare, adjust the temp. If you like well done, you should be arrested.

In my BGE, I have a secondary, lower rack just an inch or two above the coals. I sear there, then move then to the regular upper rack to finish (dome temp of BGE is about 400F the whole time).

I am not sure what accessories are available for the kettle, but if you can manage a lower reach for searing, it would make things easier.

Fortunately, the marbling of the ribeye makes them fairly forgiving. If they are a little overdone, they don't tend to turn to leather like some cuts.

Biggest tip I would give is to use an insta-read thermometer to check the temp so you know when to pull. Some very experienced people can tell just by touching the meat, but I am not one of those folks.

Don
Sunshine Legend 3000 Gasser :shocked:
donmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
AUradar
Full Fledged Farker

i will be firing my new 22" kettle up this evening for some ribeyes as well. I don't do anything special to the meat. I usually use a non-salted meat tenderizer and then either salt, pepper, garlic poweder, onion powder or just calvenderize. I've tried different stuff in the past, but to me a ribeye is best KISS

Now i will sautee up some mushrooms, onion, minced garlic and brown sugar using either butter or olive oil for my wife. But I don't care for that.

The only thing I have done speciall is grill a bacon wrapped sea scallop to go along with it. Or put some butter mixed with parsley on each side while cooking.

I take that back, if you cook the steak in a cast iron skillit (winter time using the broiler) you can then make a sauce out of the drippings with butter, cream, salt, pepper, etc thats pretty good.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

I am liking the reverse sear method. Cook indirect and then finish over high heat.
jgh1204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
smokedinvt
Full Fledged Farker

I'm in the KISS category also. I normally season with garlic - to me is the best seasoning you can use. I will also shake out some garlic on the coals so that you get some garlic smoke coming up onto the meat.
If you want to do some more seasoning, a simple way to do it is to marinate it for a bit in italian or vinagarette dressing.
I like AUradar's suggestion of sauteeing onions, shrooms garlic, etc to go along with it.
smokedinvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
JD08
is one Smokin' Farker

Use the T-Rex method. It's consistently the best method I've ever tried.
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
LGHT
Knows what a fatty is.

I upgraded my weber grate to one of those nice cast iron grates and found that it gives a much better sear allowing me to cook the meat at a much hotter temp. I cook it for 3-4 min on the first then 1-2 on the second and let it stand for a few minutes. I like it rare and the cast iron makes a big difference.
LGHT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

Simply put..... EVOO and montreal steaks seasoning... grill em till your liking.

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
BuckSnort
On the road to being a farker

For myself I sear them on both sides real good then they are ready to eat...I like my ribeye's rare.
BuckSnort is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
heiny
On the road to being a farker

hot and fast... With nothing but lawrys garlic salt.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Seems like everyone is singing from the same cookbook. EVOO, salt, pepper and high heat sear. I take my 22.5 Weber and put coals on one side.....HOT 400*. I do a sear first, twice to both sides. Use a spatula to turn the steaks 90* between sears on each side, cross hatch grill marks. Move them to cool side and cook to 140*. I like them med rare. Mrs. Bluesman likes rare, hers come off at 130*. Rib Eye is the best steak. Might have to do some tonight. Let's see som PR0N
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I actually do a slightly odd method. I use canola oil and cook them about 4 to 6 minutes a side of an 1" to 1 1/2" thick steak on a 700* or so grill. Then, move them off the fire and season one side with my beef rub and let it sit off of the fire for just a few minutes before taking off to rest. The high heat has a tendancy to burn the spices in my opinion, so this is the method I have developed that seems to work well for me.
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204 View Post
I am liking the reverse sear method. Cook indirect and then finish over high heat.
Me too!

Reverse sear is my preferred method.

I also like to take the chill off my steaks before tossing on the grill, so I take them out of the fridge while firing up the grill.

Oh. Almost forgot. When I take them off the grill, I put a lil butter on top the steaks and let them rest a few minutes before cutting.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Variation on a theme here,but I like to let the steaks warm up on the counter for 45 min. seasoned with some Montreal Seasoning. Set the grill up for a two zone heat and place the steaks on the indirect side till an internal of 110* or so. Flip it onto the hot side of the grill and sear both side till an internal of 125* I am a rare man. Plate the steaks with a little butter on top and loosely tent with some foil. In about 5 to 10 minutes you have some beautiful meat. When sliced it should be a consistent color all the way through, with no gray at the edges, and a nice light char on both sides. Delicious.

Or you could try this really high heat sear and flame-off with some butter, followed by indirect cooking to finish. This makes for a far better show.

et le Piece de Resistance

Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Now that's flamed broiled
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote